Session Black Ale recipe check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusOwnz

Reaction score
I brewed this before with just two row and carafa 3 and it turned out great but am looking to add a little body. I'm happy with the hop schedule but just looking to to make this final tweak to the grain bill. What do you think?

sg 1.044 fg 1.010 4.4% abv and about 45-50 IBU's

5.5 gallon batch

7.5lbs Two-Row
.5lbs Carafa 3
.5lbs Crystal 60
3oz chocolate malt

.75oz Warrior @ 60mins
.05 Centennial @ 10mins
.05 Cascade @ 0 mins
.05 Centennial dry hop
.05 Cascade dry hop

What was your previous Mash temp? I would probably just increase the mash temp to somewhere close to 160 F and you would definitely increase the FG (Thus increasing the body).

Of course, by doing this, you would also decrease ABV a little bit. If you don't want to decrease ABV any more, you could increase the OG and FG by adding some more specialty malts and ferment out the same.

I mashed at 154 and i'll take a look at mashing higher. The original recipe was 8lbs two row and half pound of carafa 3. When i dropped the two row to 7.5lbs and added the crystal the gravity comes out the same in my software. I guess the real question i have is do you think the crystal is needed for body? or should i just mash higher?

What software do you use? The Crystal should increase body as well, but I found that BrewTarget doesn't increase FG (If much at all), when I add crystal.

If you removed a half lb of 2-row and added a half pound of crystal, your OG should probably be similar (If not the same). However, your FG would likely be higher with the crystal(Even without the higher mash temps).

My suggestion would be to use this new recipe, and also mash a little bit higher in temp. Be careful not to go higher than 160 though. 158ish is probably good.

I've been using Brewpal for awhile now. This difference for the change in two row and crystal was the original recipe was 1.043 SG where after idropped it half a pound and added crystal it went to 1.044. Sounds great just really wanted a second opinion this is the first recipe i've ever tried to make my self I usually brew out of "Brewing Classic Styles. Like I said the first batch with just two row and carafa turned out good but I think these couple minor tweaks should make this recipe a keeper. Atleast thats the plan.

Latest posts

Back