service life for plastic fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeoldebrewer

Reaction score
I ran across a comment on Morebeer's web site regarding the plastic pails many of us use as fermenters:

"We recommend using a bucket no more than five times for fermentation purposes"

I realize scratches are bad and I treat my fermenter with care. But is it necessary to retire these pails after 'X' number of brews?

Some brewers have a set rule. I start to worry after five ferments myself, and generally replace them before the tenth batch goes in. They're cheap enough to replace, so why set yourself up for failure?

Bob

FWIW, I just retired my first fermenter bucket from my original starter kit after numerous years of use....but only because I have come to prefer my better bottles.

This is a bit of a concern if true. I have been considering going to one of the V-Vessels, which is roughly the same material as a regular bucket as near as I can tell. I certainly can't see retiring it after only 5 - 10 fermentations considering the $170 price tag! That would suck.

I used my bucket probably 20 times with no issues before I finally got a glass fermenter. As long as you are being careful I think they can last quite a long time.

From my own experience, I would add that it depends on the plastic used. The first fermentor I ever got with my brew kit is still good for brewing. However, another plastic fermentor I got became bad after about 5 brews. I do notice they use different plastic and my assumption is that the second one was just more porous and reactive.

That's when I decided to just go with glass carboys....might be more expensive, but they last a very long time (if you also have a handle so that it's harder to drop!).

I soak mine in oxyclean and then use a soft-sided sponge to wipe it out gently. If you don't put anything in there that can scratch it (like a big metal spoon) then it can't ever get scratched. So I plan on using mine for as long as I want to.

I've used the same fermentor (Cooper's fermentor...absolutely love it) for ~8 batches and...well that last batch I made is the best damned beer I've yet to make. I don't scrub the fermentor or stir with metal (just plastic or silicone if I stir at all).

I've used the same fermentor (Cooper's fermentor...absolutely love it) for ~8 batches and...well that last batch I made is the best damned beer I've yet to make. I don't scrub the fermentor or stir with metal (just plastic or silicone if I stir at all).

+1 I use the Coopers fermentor as well and really like the wide top opening. It has a spigot opening a little off the bottom so trub stays when you drain off the beer. Spigot is replaceable with the same one used in Ale Pales. I've only cleaned with warm soapy water or PBW and a soft cloth. Only use plastic spoon to stir and I keep it away from the sides. I'm actually looking for another one so I can go 10gallon.

I ran across a comment on Morebeer's web site regarding the plastic pails many of us use as fermenters:

"We recommend using a bucket no more than five times for fermentation purposes"

I realize scratches are bad and I treat my fermenter with care. But is it necessary to retire these pails after 'X' number of brews?

Strange that a company which sells fermentors recommend you buy a new one quite often :D.

Doesn't take a genius to work it out.

I cant see a good reason why a bucket cant be used more then 5 times as long as you sterilize it correctly.

Why the worry about scratches? If the sterilizer cant penetrate into the scratch neither can the beer ? If the sterilizer CAN penetrate into the scratch then it will kill all the nasties before the beer has any contact with it.

My plastic 7.9G buckets probably each have done around 10 batches.
I try to be careful -- only using plastic spoons to stir and staying away from the bottom and edges. For cleaning I only use paper towels with the Oxyclean to wipe away the crud.
I probably better take a close look at each of these to see how they look.

Pure hogwash...most of mine are over 12 years old!!!

I've used my 7 plastic fermenters at least 50 times each and will continue to do so.

Scratches are nothing to worry about as long as you maintain and clean them well. The trick is to not leave them lying around after emptying them and letting the contents spoil, etc. I clean mine as soon as I empty them.

For all you wanting to use yours for 5 or 10 times before replacing, send me an offer and I'll buy them...:D

This is a bit of a concern if true. I have been considering going to one of the V-Vessels, which is roughly the same material as a regular bucket as near as I can tell. I certainly can't see retiring it after only 5 - 10 fermentations considering the $170 price tag! That would suck.
One of the mfgs. of the plastic conicals has this answered in their FAQ's.It says to 1.Do nothing about scratches.2.use a blade to file down sharp edges on scratches.3. Pour 170or 180F water down the sides to sanitize plastic.
I put a spigot in the bottom of my fermenters and have noticed that the cheap 5gal. buckets are all one material whereas the ones from the brewstore have a clear lining in them.I'm guessing to keep down staining and scratches.

I have never heard of this I also have no intention of throwing down $16 every 5 batches, and just throwing more plastic into my towns landfill.

Centuries ago they brewed beer in clay pots, never sanitizing, never using soap, using dirty water, dirty ingredients; I think we can do it just fine in non-porous plastic. While sanitizing is necessary to an extent we don't need to take it to OCD levels.

I have a Cooper's fermenter and three "Ale Pail" type buckets. I think I've done close to 25 batches on the oldest of the buckets by now, and have never had a problem. My Cooper's fermenter has done nearly that many too and it still works very well, just the gasket on the lid is getting old and might need replacing.

I clean my buckets with the sink sprayer and soft sponge only, I've done 12 batches or so in each and I expect to use them a lot longer. As long as they don't get scratched or anything I can't imagine having to replace them for a long time.

Strikes me as a bit extreme. With a bit of nous they'll last for years.

If I had an inside on supply of them to brewers I'd probably advocate only using them 5 times too:rolleyes:

Centuries ago they brewed beer in clay pots, never sanitizing, never using soap, using dirty water, dirty ingredients; I think we can do it just fine in non-porous plastic. While sanitizing is necessary to an extent we don't need to take it to OCD levels.

cosign.....

I've used my 7 plastic fermenters at least 50 times each and will continue to do so.

Scratches are nothing to worry about as long as you maintain and clean them well. The trick is to not leave them lying around after emptying them and letting the contents spoil, etc. I clean mine as soon as I empty them.

For all you wanting to use yours for 5 or 10 times before replacing, send me an offer and I'll buy them...:D

Sure - mine is not 12 years old but I've used it for five years, at least a hundred batches, and I see no reason to change. Ditto on all said by H-99.

I have never heard of this I also have no intention of throwing down $16 every 5 batches, and just throwing more plastic into my towns landfill.

You don't have to throw them out, just stop using them as fermenters. Store grain in them, sanitizer, etc. But since I use BBs almost exclusively, it's a moot point to me.

No abrasives touch the inside of my two ale pails, just a quick hose out and Oxyclean soak to get rid of dried krausen. And they've seen many batches. No infections, either. However, the HDME buckets ARE cheap- so if you want to replace them periodically, that's entirely up to you.

To the OP, don't use your buckets for anything BUT fermentation vessels- and you can minimize infection-harboring scratches that sanitizer can't penetrate.

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I just used one of my Ale Pales to do a batch of cider...now my bucket has an acid/citrus smell. Glad I didn't use my plastic conical. Any suggestions for removing the smell, or do I now have a dedicated cider bucket?

FWIW, I was told never make root beer in anything I plan on putting beer in.

If the sterilizer cant penetrate into the scratch neither can the beer ? If the sterilizer CAN penetrate into the scratch then it will kill all the nasties before the beer has any contact with it.

Sort of my thinking too. :mug:

+10...Clean them properly and they will last for hundreds of brews...

+1 I use the Coopers fermentor as well and really like the wide top opening. It has a spigot opening a little off the bottom so trub stays when you drain off the beer. Spigot is replaceable with the same one used in Ale Pales. I've only cleaned with warm soapy water or PBW and a soft cloth. Only use plastic spoon to stir and I keep it away from the sides. I'm actually looking for another one so I can go 10gallon.

+2 on Coopers. I am lucky enough to have been able to pickup another one this week for $25 (used 3 times).

What I've used to clean my first one was a piece of Bounty paper folded. I use hot water at first to clean most of the junk of the plastic and then wipe the rest with Bounty.

Back