Selector switch that automatically turns off when power's cut?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I meant to link this post.

That's better. Hard to read given it's split in two. Looking at it quickly I'm afraid I don't have the time to really go over it carefully to see if it makes sense. For me to say "yes it's ok" would probably require a dozen questions and an hour or two of careful review. Sorry, I just don't have the time. I need to get back to writing my own content for my site.

Kal

No problem, I totally understand. Thanks for looking and sorry about having to split the pics. Turns out nobody makes a decent circuit design program for Mac.

Hi guys,

I've now finished documenting how I added a safe start interlock to my control panel.

See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-safe-start-interlock

This safe start interlock only allows the control panel to power up if the pump and element switches are all in the OFF position. This interlock will also ensure that if power is ever cut, the pumps and elements will stay off until the operator turns them off and then resets the power.

Adding a safe start interlock to our control panel will avoid harming the pumps, heating elements, and the operator.

Cheers!

Kal

Kal,

First off, let me say that you website is incredibly well done and a great resource. I am upgrading my electric brewery and am using a lot of your knowledge.

I am learning as I go, so I have what may be an off base question.

I have a similar relay (120 v coil) that I am using in a latching circuit as a push button start and the a separate push - pull NC 22 mm E stop.

Your safe start interlock is a great idea and one that I want to incoporate.

Question - Can I just use my latching relay setup E stop circuit and make the appropriate wiring changes from added contact blocks on my selector switches that you have done in your safe start system and have both the safe start interlock and still use the E stop ?

BTW, I didn't see where yours uses an E stop, and I am sure you covered that in the build thread some where.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Hi Bill!

I don't have an Emergency stop on my setup. At least not the style of mushroom button that is typically used. I have a on/off key switch.

It's really impossible for me to comment on if what you want to do will work with just a quick paragraph description like you mentioned. I'd suggest you start a new thread and post a schematic to see if people can comment. I'll keep a look out...

Kal

Back