Seems like a good group to go to on this one...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack13

Reaction score
I have a chair that plugs into the wall but the power adapter is missing. I haven't been able to get in touch yet with the company that makes it.

Looks like I need an AC/DC adapter, since the chair indicates it's 12V DC (4amp).

The plug on the chair (pictured below) resembles that on a laptop ac adapter, but that style of adapter wouldn't work because the part that would fit that is the part that goes to the wall (i.e., before the 'adapter' part).

As I said in the subject line, this seems like a group of people with the knowledge to help me on this. I'm having no luck searching on the internet.

The plug is about 3/4" by 1/4". It doesn't quite look like it in the pic, but it is symmetrical. As it should say on the left, I'm in the USA.

Thanks!

chairplug.jpg

Why not get a 12V / 4A adapter and put a jack in the chair that's compatible with the new adapter? That cover plate comes off, 2 screws.

What kind of chair is it that needs power? What does it do?

Why not get a 12V / 4A adapter and put a jack in the chair that's compatible with the new adapter? That cover plate comes off, 2 screws.

What kind of chair is it that needs power? What does it do?

I'm sure putting a new jack in the chair is easy for someone with a bit of experience in that. What I'm hoping for is something easy for someone without such experience. But if the latter doesn't pan out, I'll look into your idea. Thanks a lot! It's a massage chair.

Power bricks with proprietary connections are usually hard to find and tend to be very expensive for what they are. The bricks they use are typically generic (read: China sourced), just with a company selected pluggy on them to make them "unique" and special.

Do a Google search on that brand and see what rolls out. Maybe eBay has them or a suitable replacement. 12V 4A is your guide. The brick can be rated at a higher amperage, which is fine. Just not higher voltage.

If you know someone handy in these things he may take a case of homebrew for the effort. As long as he connects plus to plus.

Power bricks with proprietary connections are usually hard to find and tend to be very expensive for what they are. The bricks they use are typically generic (read: China sourced), just with a company selected pluggy on them to make them "unique" and special.

Do a Google search on that brand and see what rolls out. Maybe eBay has them or a suitable replacement. 12V 4A is your guide. The brick can be rated at a higher amperage, which is fine. Just not higher voltage.

If you know someone handy in these things he may take a case of homebrew for the effort. As long as he connects plus to plus.

I'm not finding anything. Question: rather than try to replace the jack on the chair, could I intstead get a 12V laptop adapter, cut the end part off (the part that would plug into the laptop, and splice the two wires (I'm assuming there are two wires in there I'd be able to separate) onto the wires going into the chair?:

chairplug2.jpg

I'm not finding anything. Question: rather than try to replace the jack on the chair, could I intstead get a 12V laptop adapter, cut the end part off (the part that would plug into the laptop, and splice the two wires (I'm assuming there are two wires in there I'd be able to separate) onto the wires going into the chair?

Directly hardwire it? Sure!
Red wire is usually positive, but you should double check it. There maybe an indication somewhere.
So wire positive to positive.

Make sure the power brick can supply a minimum of 4 A.
Something like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Directly hardwire it? Sure!
Red wire is usually positive, but you should double check it. There maybe an indication somewhere.
So wire positive to positive.

Make sure the power brick can supply a minimum of 4 A.
Something like this?

Cool, I'll come back here when it's done. Appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can probably attach that charger/power brick (semi) permanently to the chair (e.g., Velcro, strap), then pull the 120V power cord from the brick or the wall when you need to move it.

You can probably attach that charger/power brick (semi) permanently to the chair (e.g., Velcro, strap), then pull the 120V power cord from the brick or the wall when you need to move it.

Ah, good idea! I was finally able to speak to someone at the manufacturer, and they are supposedly sending me a power cord. The conversation did not inspire confidence though. But if it doesn't work I've got a backup plan now.

Ah, good idea! I was finally able to speak to someone at the manufacturer, and they are supposedly sending me a power cord. The conversation did not inspire confidence though. But if it doesn't work I've got a backup plan now.

Ow! No adapter?
Keep us posted, please.

Back