Seeking out a Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to clone Kuhnhenn's Fourth Dementia?

BA: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2097/18850
RB: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/kuhnhenn-fourth-dementia-old-ale/33191/

I just had this the other night and it was a fantastic beer. Definitely an inspiration and I'm interested in researching how this beer was brewed. I can see caramelized brown sugar being one ingredient. Really malty and notes of caramel, toffee, leather, dark fruits and a hint of spices.

Possibles:
- Caramelized brown sugar
- Maris Otter
- Special B
- Munich
- Crystal 45
- Crystal 65
- Chocolate Malt
- Smoked Malt

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
BG

This beer rocks!

I have tried sending them an email looking for some direction, I never got any response :( So, I hope you have better luck!
It doesn't help that their website looks like it was built by a child in 1995, I'm not sure if there is a contact email address on there (or if you can find one).

I would love to be able to just get the gravities, actual abv (it varies from site to site and apparently the BA version has the same abv?), IBUs etc. Just the basic info that most brewery websites list next to the beer. Please let us know if you hear back from them!

This beer rocks!

I have tried sending them an email looking for some direction, I never got any response :( So, I hope you have better luck!
It doesn't help that their website looks like it was built by a child in 1995, I'm not sure if there is a contact email address on there (or if you can find one).

I would love to be able to just get the gravities, actual abv (it varies from site to site and apparently the BA version has the same abv?), IBUs etc. Just the basic info that most brewery websites list next to the beer. Please let us know if you hear back from them!

No reply from Kuhnhenn yet. Additionally, I learned that the homebrew supply store that the Kuhnhenn family runs provides homebrew kits. A friend called for me, and unfortunately they do not have a 4D kit, nor do they have plans to release one at this time. I was secretly hoping there would be a recipe/instructions sheet attached to the kit.

So its back to step 1, creating a recipe from scratch and try to confirm as many assumptions/details as I can before brewing.

BG

They're not too open about sharing recipes from my experience. 4D Is my favorite old ale by far

Latest posts

Back