Seeking a 'fun' brew day recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravityspiral

Reaction score
I've been brewing extract for about 175 gallons with a few batches of AG thrown in here and there. I dislike hoppy beers so almost everything I've ever made typically has an ounce at 60m, with the occasional addition of EKG or Saaz in the 15-0m range for a porter or english brown.

I've got some family visiting this October that want to spend a day brewing while they're here because it's always interested them, so I'm going to do another AG batch. I'm looking for something that doesn't have a very simple grain bill so I can explain why we use this or that particular malt, and a hop schedule that involves more additions than just the 60m bittering addition. The only downside is that they won't be around to drink it and I don't want to be left with something I won't drink, so I'd like to stay away from making an IPA or even an APA.

I was thinking maybe an ESB, or something Belgian? Anything you guys could recommend would be awesome. I looked up a Gumballhead clone that seemed like it might be fun to try and drink, that's definitely in consideration as well.

Cheers!

I would prefer simple recipe so I don't screw it up while drinking and chatting :) ESB's and Belgians are not exactly my favorites and don't know much about them but maybe a simple American Amber Ale with a 60 and 15 min Hop addition? I just did an oatmeal stout which was pretty simple but had lots of various grains to talk about. And as far as tasting it goes, the chocolate and roasty flavors were very evident in the boil , so they could taste something at least.

You'll have lots to talk about regardless. Grains, Hopps, Irish Moss, Yeast Nutrient, Oxygen, Chilling, Fermentation Temps, Starters, Pitching Temps, yada, yada...

David

Hmm an oatmeal stout actually sounds like a great idea, I'll look up some recipes for that and see what I can come up with

Yooper's stout is great, but if you want something with unusual ingredients, try the Cottage House Saison recipe jn the database. It uses orange blossom honey and pepper. I have it in a keg right now and it is absolutely fantastic.

A Belgian wit is always fun to brew. You could explain the use of wheat in addition to 2-row, hops, Belgian yeast character, and the addition of coriander and orange peel as spices. It's a very aromatic beer to brew as well, and it's easy to find commercial beers to bring in for sampling so people can get an idea of what it will taste like.

A nice brown ale is great for fall or winter. You can add maple syrup or brown sugar. Pretty much whatever grain bill too. Use marris otter or 2 row for base, crystal 60+, some english brown malt, chocolate malt or bakers brick chocolate, oatmeal, flaked barley, victory, honey malt, etc... you can make it a low ibu beer all the way up to an Indian brown. Browns are a great way to get loose when brewing all grain.
It's almost that time of year for me too!

Back