See ya internet, hello SOPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s2cmpugh

Reaction score
If this passes, we are all screwed.

SOPA rides to war: Tech giants, Hollywood clash over internet piracy, censorship | ExtremeTech

Stop Online Piracy Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Free speech dies and so does due process if and when this passes. Basically says this "wow, your content looks like mine, and since mine is copyrighted you have to shut yours down". No judge involved, nothing. It also means Google, and any other middle man has to stop returning the site on searches AND they could be held liable just as much as the alleged violator.

I don't think this will pass. I'm kind of just saying that because I can't imagine where the internet will be if this does go through.

Even HBT will be susceptible to the bullsh!t that this bill encompasses.

The minor point that needs making here is that as written and debated, only foreign-based websites would be susceptible to shutting down without a warrant.

Not that I think this is a good bill at all.

I think it's time for certain companies to come to the realization that YOU CAN'T STOP THE SIGNAL!

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.

We don't tell them what to think, we just show them how.

Back