Sediment sticking to sides of glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThorGodOfThunder

Reaction score
I have my mead aging in 1-gallon glass jugs, and I find that a large amount of the sediment is sticking to the inside of the glass. If I gently swirl it I can get most of it to the bottom, but a lot still sticks to the sides. I hate to agitate it too much... is there an easy fix for this?

I have my mead aging in 1-gallon glass jugs, and I find that a large amount of the sediment is sticking to the inside of the glass. If I gently swirl it I can get most of it to the bottom, but a lot still sticks to the sides. I hate to agitate it too much... is there an easy fix for this?

This may be a dumb question, but why do you need to "fix" it?

It's fine.

Just wait until the mead clears, and rack it to a new jug. It doesn't matter if the lees are on the side or the bottom as long as they are falling out and you don't suck them up when you rack.

Swirling may oxidize the mead, so leaving it alone would work just fine.

I just like to rack as little as possible, and if stuff is sticking to the sides it inevitably makes it into my siphon tube so I have to wait for it to settle out again.

Place in a dark cool location, stand a set of speakers in front of the containers and play heavy metal music at it, at full volume.....

Works every time......... ;) :D

Mine is doing the same thing--I think it is because the inside of the carboy is slightly bowed in at the place where it keeps sticking. I decided I didn't care much--it sort of looks like a yeasty snow storm!

Place in a dark cool location, stand a set of speakers in front of the containers and play heavy metal music at it, at full volume.....

Works every time......... ;) :D

Maybe I've had too many ciders, but that actually sounds like a good idea. I can put it in my garage right in front of my speakers. I like to play music in the garage all winter anyway (keeps the mice out), so I'm going to try it.

Less racking = less oxidation. And who doesn't like Heavy Metal Mead (tm)?

Meh? On the other hand, maybe just use some wine finings......

The stirring action should remove the stuff hanging on the sides and then it should just drop out as normal.

Dunno why but I'm thinking the 24/48 hour 2 part finings.......

Back