Sediment comits??!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSbeer

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum but been using it for quite some time and have always found an answer without having to post.
Heres my question.

Beer is festa brew brown Ale, I added a container of malt / sugar mix to up the alcohol, buddy at the store said it would be good in the brown Ale and also gave me some ESB yeast and said it will add flavour.

This is the 10th kit I've made from them, never had a issue but never messed with adding anything extra.

After the first day it started fermentation and boy did it go, I had a hose running into a 2L bottle and it was almost exploding the bubbles out, 1 day of this than switched to normal air lock. Got a few bubbles for a day than zero bubbles. I decided to rack into a glass carboy to see if that would get it moving. After it was racked it looked very brown and merkey, than slowly after a few days the top is now black but 1/2 of the carboy does not seem to be settling. And zero movement in airlock.

Now the strange thing, the bubbles coming from the bottom seem to be bringing sediment up with it. Looks like shooting starts all most coming from the bottom than break at the top and the sediment slowly falls back down, so it will never clear.

I forgot to take a reading at the start with the added malt and sugar etc but this is without.

23 Litres of wort | OG: 1.0496 – 1.0504, FG: 1.0116 – 1.0124, Yeast: Nottingham, IBUs: 15

Took a taste and it taste fine... At this point it has been 16 days, also I can see bubbles coming up non stop but zero movement in airlock, so where is it going?

20180211_115921.jpg
20180219_201820.jpg

It looks ok- it’ll start to clear from the top down, and it’ll look darker near the top as that happens. And that’s what is going on now. The yeast sediment sounds like it’s acting like nucleation points and the c02 is causing it to raise like that. It’s not enough to force c02 out through the airlock, but it’s there.

It’ll be fine. Wait until it clears a little bit and then it’ll be find to bottle it.

It looks ok- it’ll start to clear from the top down, and it’ll look darker near the top as that happens. And that’s what is going on now. The yeast sediment sounds like it’s acting like nucleation points and the c02 is causing it to raise like that. It’s not enough to force c02 out through the airlock, but it’s there.

It’ll be fine. Wait until it clears a little bit and then it’ll be find to bottle it.
Should I keep it cooler, around 65 or around 70 better?

Yes. You should have left it in primary longer. Your description makes it appear it was only in primary for about 3 days before you moved it. Way to soon to be transferring if at all.

After 16 days, moving the temp up will be fine. You may get a little more bubble missile launches from the sediment as it warms. This should help finish it up.

Yes. You should have left it in primary longer. Your description makes it appear it was only in primary for about 3 days before you moved it. Way to soon to be transferring if at all.

After 16 days, moving the temp up will be fine. You may get a little more bubble missile launches from the sediment as it warms. This should help finish it up.
Sorry it was in the primary for 7 or 8 days
Was started on the 3rd and racked on the 11th. I would normally just leave it in the primary but since I seen no activity in the airlock at all I decided to rack so I could take a peek. Buying a large mouth carboy for next brew.

Then it is likely done.
Leave it or bottle it. The choice is yours. The little bubbles are escaping co2 from residual activity. Not an issue.

There are benefits from being able to see what is going on but then sometimes it only raises questions when examined.

A series of hydrometer readings is the only way to be sure it is done but you appear to have beer

Sorry it was in the primary for 7 or 8 days
Was started on the 3rd and racked on the 11th. I would normally just leave it in the primary but since I seen no activity in the airlock at all I decided to rack so I could take a peek. Buying a large mouth carboy for next brew.
In future, If activity slows down to what appears to be done, leave it be. I leave all my beers in the primary for 3-4 weeks and usually all activity appears done after 3-5 days. Even once the krausen drops and airlock stops bubbling, them yeast are still working away. Just leave them to do their thing :yes:

If moving to a secondary is something you're a fan of, then by all means do. But i'd probably wait 2 weeks before doing that, a week minimum.

But yeah, like yooper said, the darker color at the top is just the yeast dropping out and the beer clearing. Leave it in there another week and you'll probably find the whole carboy is that dark color.

Back