Secoundary too small?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

umopepisdn

Reaction score
I just got a few buckets with 2 indicator for secondaries. I got them for free, but the problem is, is that they are 3 1/2 gallon buckets to where I am brewing 5 gallon batches. My concern is that if I divided up the batched between both containers (2 and a half gallons per secondary) that there would be allot of oxygen in the container while the beer is in a less active state in fermentation.

So, my question is, will their be enough activity from the CO2 after two weeks of fermentation to get the oxygen out if the 5 gallon batch was split to 2 and a half gallons per 3 1/2 gallon containers?

Edit
And I guess the title should be secondary too big

Those are probably too big for secondaries, at least I would personally be concerned about a bit of oxidation. CO2 production in secondary is very low, and is mostly due to outgassing of CO2 that's already dissolved into the beer.

Depending on what styles you're brewing, I'd forgo the secondary altogether and just have a long primary.

Thanks, that was kind of what I was afraid of, but free is free so I couldn't say no.

Latest posts

Back