Secondary with a conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleev-les

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question that I've been curious about, but have not ever seen any bad come from. I'm using a plastic fast fermenter. After the primary fermentation (most beers about 7 to 10 days I let set) I pull the trub bulb, clean it out, fill with water and reconnect for another week or so. I usually pull the top of the fermenter and take a gravity reading as well. Being that you don't want oxygen to get to the beer, do you guys ever push a small amount of CO2 into the fermenter to protect the top layer of the beer or do you just let it go? I just let it go and haven't had any issue, but I always like to find ways to minimize risk. Especially getting into cooler temps and I want to lager some brews. I know when racking to secondary on carboys you want as little airspace as possible and that isn't possible with the fast fermenter. Just curious how you guys approach this.

I've used fast fermenter for years and one of the best additions is a sampling port. Anytime I draw beer out of it hook up co2 through the top of the airlock and push at about 2psi. That goes for closed transfers as well.

Latest posts

Back