Secondary Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCasey1992

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all!

I looked all over the forums and couldn't find anything on this so I apologize if this has already been discussed. I have a pale ale that I will be dry hopping in a few days. Here is my question. I primaried at 63ish because I've heard that the yeast I used tastes awful above 65 (I used Safale S-04 by the way). Given that I don't have a fermentation chamber yet, (should be arriving soon.) I have been using my keezer to maintain the temperature. However, I need to free up space for a brown ale I recently brewed. Assuming fermentation is complete, when I transfer to the secondary to dry hop, can I store it at a higher temp (like 68) without imparting off flavors or any other unwanted effects? Thanks in advance for all your help.

- Casey

You don't need to secondary to dry hop. In fact it is quite rare to need to secondary any beer. You can dry hop at room temperature with no problem.

Whether you dry hop in the primary, like I do, or in a secondary clearing vessel temperature doesn't matter. Off flavors from lack of temperature control only occur during the first few days of active fermentation in the primary.

Oxidation risk is greater when dry hopping in a secondary vessel because the volume of CO2 in solution is much less than it is in the primary.

You don't need to secondary to dry hop. In fact it is quite rare to need to secondary any beer. You can dry hop at room temperature with no problem.

Awesome. Also, I just noticed that I have more space in the keezer than I thought. I just need to get it down to serving temperature in time for the super bowl. is there any reason I can't dry hop and cold condition at the same time? I'm pretty excited for this brew so I'm getting impatient lol.

I know that it's heresy to secondary but I almost always do secondary. Particularly for dry hopping. I usually leave it in my ale ferm chamber at 66-68 F.
Of course, I'm old and more patient!

I know that it's heresy to secondary but I almost always do secondary. Particularly for dry hopping. I usually leave it in my ale ferm chamber at 66-68 F.

I'm old and patient too but I'm also lazy and hate washing dishes (carboys are dishes to me) so since the results are the same I just avoid moving the beer. :mug:

Awesome. Also, I just noticed that I have more space in the keezer than I thought. I just need to get it down to serving temperature in time for the super bowl. is there any reason I can't dry hop and cold condition at the same time? I'm pretty excited for this brew so I'm getting impatient lol.

If you dry hop at a lower temperature, it may take longer to get the aroma you are looking for. I dry hop in my kegs and i usually will let the keg sit for a few days at room temp, drop the temp and set my C02 at about 40psi for 24hrs and then set to serving pressure for about 3 days before enjoying.

I wouldn't say that it it heresy to secondary, it has just been proven to be an unnecessary step. And it's a step that mostly just increases the chance to oxidize or infect the beer for a very small amount of clarity.

I wouldn't bother with a secondary, just dry hop in the primary. Secondary is a process from days gone by that has been shown to be unnecessary. By all means you can do one if you'd like (it's your beer), but you don't have to.

General rule of thumb with dry hopping is the warmer the beer the faster you'll see extraction. You can dry hop cool or cold but it will take longer to get the flavor and aroma you are looking for.

I would dryhop for 3 days at room temperature, then keg and carb up in the keezer so that it's ready for Sunday.

Thanks Yooper. Just one more question. The beer has only been in the fermenter for about a week. The recipe I found calls for a ten day primary and a fourteen day secondary. The beer is definitely at terminal gravity but if I dry hop for three days starting today and then keg and carbonate, wouldn't that be too little time or would I get the same effects over time in the keg?

Also. Here is the link to the recipe if it helps. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=84558

Agree with those who have said, ix-nay on the econdary-say. A "secondary" is not just an arbitrary second vessel in which to arbitrarily rack your beer. It is a post-primary fermentation vessel in which a second fermentation will be initiated, e.g., a fruit addition. If you're not planning on a second fermentation, there is no need to transfer the beer to a second ("secondary") vessel. Dry hop in primary near the end of or after primary fermentation, same temp.

I wouldn't say that it it heresy to secondary, it has just been proven to be an unnecessary step. And it's a step that mostly just increases the chance to oxidize or infect the beer for a very small amount of clarity.

Not when you transfer under pressure using CO2 from carboy to carboy & later from carboy to keg.

Not when you transfer under pressure using CO2 from carboy to carboy & later from carboy to keg.

True.

But I think the percentage of homebrewers that have the equipment to do that is very small...

IMO, For the vast majority it is better in most cases not to do a secondary.

The equipment needed is really minimal, especially if you already keg.
I'm in the minority but after only 6-7 years it works for me.

Latest posts

Back