secondary or no secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azfalcon

Reaction score
I just started my first brew Sunday..got a little bubbling going on this morning :rockin: (every 4-5 seconds)

Anyhow I was under the impression that I would go a week in the primary (wait to bubble to slow then check with hydro), then a transfer to my secondary (glass container) for a week, then add sugar to 3rd bucket, transfer, mix then bottle. Keep bottles at least 5-7 days...chill then drink.

Am I good to follow this plan?

Better off to just go 3-4 weeks in primary, then add your sugar (dissolved in a qt of water) into your bottling bucket, then rack from your primary on top of this.

+1. Unless you are making a high gravity brew that would actually benefit from a prolonged secondary (e.g., Barleywine) you are better off just doing a 3-4 week primary and then bottling after that.

thats one of those things that has a great divide on opinion around here.

Personally thats about the schedule I follow for 98% of my beers.
1 Week in primary (plastic bucket)
1 Week in secondary (plastic bucket)
Keg, carbonate for a day or 2 and consume

Exceptions are Lagers which go:
2 weeks primary (plastic bucket)
2 weeks secondary (plastic bucket)
keg

And of course imperials or Barley wines get a 2 week primary in plastic then a long secondary in a glass carboy. time varies depending on desired ABV and gravity

3 weeks primary, skip secondary, verify fermentation complete with hydro, transfer to bottling bucket, add priming sugar & bottle, wait 3 weeks at room temp. for carbing.

FYI. I live in Chandler & brew quite often. If you'd like to come hang out on one of my brew days just send me a PM & I'll let ya know when my next scheduled brew is.

Back