secondary in 5 gal carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broganation

Reaction score
I enjoy making one gallon batches of brew. Will I disturb the process by transferring gallon batches to a 5 gal carboy for secondary fermentation?

You would need to have 6 one gallon batches ready at the same time to pull this off I think. If you did them in succession, there will be too much head space in the 5 gallon carboy while waiting for other batches to be ready to transfer.

I'd be surprised if someone who enjoys making 1 gallon batches was inclined to make five identical batches in a row to fill a 5g carboy.
So, I'll assume otherwise and advise that putting 1 gallon of beer in a 5 gallon vessel would be A Bad Thing unless said vessel had been totally purged of air first.
For that matter (and agreeing with the above) if one was indeed inclined to gradually fill the carboy the purge thing becomes up to 5X important (1 X for each gallon :))

Cheers!

Secondary is not necessary in most cases, and yes, 1 gallon in a 5 gallon carboy is pretty much trying to ruin your beer.

Back