Secondary Fermentation / Re-pitching question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonWheelio

Reaction score
The background:

I've got a couple of 1 gallon recipes fermenting away at the moment and I'm pretty sure I under pitched one if not both batches as my fermentation was slow to start on one and really slow on the other. From what I've read the 1 day lag can happen with this yeast, but 2 days seems too long. Looking at them fermenting side by side I can see the clumps of yeast are smaller and the krausen is much smaller on the 2 day beer (the first one needed a blow off hose and this one still has plenty of headspace). I have a feeling I didn't recalculate my pitch rates to the gravity of the beer. I'm thinking about repitching for the second batch depending on what the gravity read is this weekend when it should be finished.

IPA 1
OG 1.05
Yeast: BRY - 97 (2-3 grams)
time to start - 1 day
large krausen
bubbling vigorously

IPA 2
OG 1.07
Yeast: BRY - 97 (3 grams)
time to start - 2 days
small krausen
bubbling vigorously, but a little less

My question:

When you rack to secondary are you just getting off the trub or are you actually repitching to start a secondary fermentation?

Leave it in primary. Unless you are extended aging, you can sit in primary for 12 weeks just fine. I've had brews take 3 days to kickoff and they have come out fine.

Also, what temp are you fermenting at?

With all that said, when I rack off primary for extended aging I do not repitch

12 weeks, really? I thought that autolysis started after 3 weeks?

I'm fermenting at 21deg, on the high side for this yeast I know, but these are my first batches.

Back