secondary ferment/ residual Co2?/carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hurley195

Reaction score
Hello. A new brewer here with a question on something new I am seeing during end of secondary fermentation and on bottling day. On batch #9, with good success so far in both extract and all grain.

Summary: Muntons extract kit (pilsner). 1.045 OG and 1.011 FG. Muntons yeast. Went 21 days in Primary glass carboy, transferred to secondary carboy and spent another 21 days. So, total time is 6 weeks fermentation on bottling day. Final Gravity consistent at 1.011 over 3 days so I am bottling. Fermentation temps between 62 degrees and 65 degrees. We keep our house around 64 degrees.

Here is where my question comes into play:

Primary: High krausen fell/dissipated after 8-10 days, between 10-21 days a little residual bubbles and typical "fizz" look gave way to a clean, clear and nothing on top of beer. Racked to seconday.

Secondary: A little residual "fizz" or little bubbles on top for about 24 hours after racking and then during the entire seconday it stayed clean, clear and nothing on top of the beer UNTIL a couple weeks in secondary I started to see formation of "bubble/fizzy" look again. You know, how a beer looks a while after you pour it and all the head has subsided to just a few white fizzy/foamy bubbles. What I made of this is that 5 weeks into fermentation that the yeast decided to go back to work and this is why I see this again?? I tested the final gravity though and it didnt change for 3 days so I bottled.

Also, while performing the gravity check I noticed "head" on my sample beer and bubbles coming from the bottom of my test jar. Its almost like the beer was already carbonated out of the secondary.. little bubbles were sticking to my hydrometer so to ensure good FG reading I checked hydrometer to make sure it was spun and free of bubbles to get a good reading.

My only thought is I have a very high amount of what I believe is called "residual Co2"? Could my house warming up by just a few degrees make the yeast "try" to ferment again?

Any comments or thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.

Bottled it, drinking and tastes great. NO problems with the carbonation or over-carbonating. I assume Denny was right, off gasing and probably some residual Co2. Now I now for another time I see this that is OK. Thanks.

Back