Secondary Ferm in Corny Keg??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twtr25

Reaction score
I've heard of people using corny kegs as a secondary fermenter...

I'm curious, what are the advantages and disadvantages to this???

The a whole sticky on the this vs that topic of fermenter (and other things) in the begining homebrewing section...really good analysis of pros/cons

For me it's nice to be able to age/condition and carbonate your beer in the same vessel.
Instead of having to transfer it to a keg to carbonate it.

Plus thats one less piece of equipment you haft to wash and sanitize.

For me it's nice to be able to age/condition and carbonate your beer in the same vessel.
Instead of having to transfer it to a keg to carbonate it.

Plus thats one less piece of equipment you haft to wash and sanitize.

So do you rack over from your primary to the corny, and then once it is conditioned and carbonated enough, you dispense straight from there? I always feel like there's still quite a bit of trudge in the bottom of my secondary.

I rack right from the primary.
Then after about a week into aging I'll apply co2 pressure to carbonate then let it sit a couple more days.

The first glass off the keg will have a little trub in it but after that the beer will run pretty clear.

Some guys take there dip tubes out and either cut a inch or so off the bottom or bend them so they stay out of the trub.

I do it with a lot of my beers. you get a little trub but it settles at the lowest point and usually you just have to toss out the first pint. big advantage is less transfers which means less chance of contamination and less work.

I rack right from the primary.
Then after about a week into aging I'll apply co2 pressure to carbonate then let it sit a couple more days.

The first glass off the keg will have a little trub in it but after that the beer will run pretty clear.

Some guys take there dip tubes out and either cut a inch or so off the bottom or bend them so they stay out of the trub.

When you apply the co2 to carbonate, do you then chill it, or just let it sit at room temp???

I just make sure the first pint or three from the keg is mine... then everyone else can enjoy a clear beer :D

I'm lagering my "Super Bowl" Pilsner right now and I have been pulling about 4 oz. or so every 3 to 5 days just to see how it's been clearing and aging. I've never done that and it's interesting how it's been maturing. Now that I think back I should have taking photos. The first few pulls had sediment but now its looking great!

m.flickr.com

Just started using corny's as my secondary. I found a 1/2" id tubing fits directly over the threads. So I pull a tube out and slip the clear tubing over the fitting then put a loop in it and fill with a little star san to make an airlock that will handle the small amount of fermenting that happens in the secondary. Seems to work well for me.

I like to transfer from Primary to secondary to serving but under a CO2 blanket. You really need to clean the corneys if you use for primary and be sure to leave at least 2 to 3 inches head space in the primary. I have busted carboys but have never had to pick up pieces of a corney keg. Handles, Stainless, Fits in a Chest Freezer, No light. They are great.

Just started using corny's as my secondary. I found a 1/2" id tubing fits directly over the threads. So I pull a tube out and slip the clear tubing over the fitting then put a loop in it and fill with a little star san to make an airlock that will handle the small amount of fermenting that happens in the secondary. Seems to work well for me.

reposted hopefully the picture works.

IMAG0367.jpg

Hmmnn. Can you dry hop in the corny, cold crash and then carbonate and serve? Assume the dry hop will just settle to the bottom with the trub.

If you dry hop in your keg, does the flavor change over time? Doesn't extended dry hopping bring out a grassy taste? Guess you could fish it out (with a santized spoon) before carbonating.

i've dryhopped in the keg warm for 7-14 days, then just chill and carb...also have dryhopped in the keg, cold and on gas...either way, i've left the hops in the keg until it kicked. never had a problem. i suspect it's because the cold really slows down the dryhop to where i never noticed any grassy flavors.

reposted hopefully the picture works.

cornys can withstand 120psi
when u seal as a secondary it ages and slightly carbs as it sits
whats the reason for using a blow off?

cornys can withstand 120psi
when u seal as a secondary it ages and slightly carbs as it sits
whats the reason for using a blow off?

Also, I wonder, doesn't something have to depress the pin in the gas in post to allow off gassing? Or is the hose hooked to co2 fitting? I guess I don't understand what you mean by "threads"?

Still though, not being critical, just wondering. I like clever simple solutions like your overhand knot 1/2" tubing airlock.

i've dryhopped in the keg warm for 7-14 days, then just chill and carb...also have dryhopped in the keg, cold and on gas...either way, i've left the hops in the keg until it kicked. never had a problem. i suspect it's because the cold really slows down the dryhop to where i never noticed any grassy flavors.

I tie unwaxed, unflavored dental floss to the hop bag and bring it out through the corny lid opening. The lid still seals fine, and it prevents the bag from eventually sinking and disturbing the sediment at the bottom of the keg. Also makes for easy removal if you don't like the flavor you're getting after a couple of weeks.

I tie unwaxed, unflavored dental floss to the hop bag and bring it out through the corny lid opening. The lid still seals fine, and it prevents the bag from eventually sinking and disturbing the sediment at the bottom of the keg. Also makes for easy removal if you don't like the flavor you're getting after a couple of weeks.

thank you for this. sometimes the simplest solutions are right under your nose ( and inbetween your teeth!!:ban:)

Also, I wonder, doesn't something have to depress the pin in the gas in post to allow off gassing? Or is the hose hooked to co2 fitting? I guess I don't understand what you mean by "threads"?

Still though, not being critical, just wondering. I like clever simple solutions like your overhand knot 1/2" tubing airlock.

That's my question as well - you'd have to take the poppet out of the gas post, or find some way to depress it.

You could also just put a gas disconnect on it and attach the hose to that.

I have considered just sanitizing a ping-pong ball and throwing it into the hop bag, so it floats at the top.

That's my question as well - you'd have to take the poppet out of the gas post, or find some way to depress it.

You could also just put a gas disconnect on it and attach the hose to that.

I have considered just sanitizing a ping-pong ball and throwing it into the hop bag, so it floats at the top.

Wow! Cleverness points on that one! I've gone the other route, sanitize marbles to sink the bag in the first place, then use the floss to suspend it in the middle of the keg, but I know that dryhops will eventually sink over time too, so I stopped doing that.

Cool - thanks!

I unthread the fitting and remove the tube before putting on the "blow off tube". I then dry hop using a hop bag in the keg as a secondary (7-10 days) finally I will rack into a fresh kehg to serve.

Sorry, I am a newb to kegs (just got mine in the mail this week). Are you saying you removed one of the posts and dip tubes? And the 1/2" blow off tube fit snugly in the hole for the post?

I unthread the fitting and remove the tube before putting on the "blow off tube". I then dry hop using a hop bag in the keg as a secondary (7-10 days) finally I will rack into a fresh kehg to serve.

Sorry, I am a newb to kegs (just got mine in the mail this week). Are you saying you removed one of the posts and dip tubes? And the 1/2" blow off tube fit snugly in the hole for the post?

Here ya go, there is a threaded post that the post you see screws onto. That's what he puts his 1/2" tube on.

KegPartList.jpg

Or get a gas disconnect and attach tubing to that. Or an airlock. Or consider the carbonation a bonus.

Not really using it as a blowoff just as an inexpensive airlock. I txfr after secondary is complete just to leave the nastys behind. I sometimes like to bring my kegs to get togethers and the sediment will get stirred up if you serve in the same keg that you use as a secondary. But if you leave your keg in the fridge or kegorator serving in the secondary keg works just fine(after the first couple of cloudy pints)

Also, if you get a lot of sediment in your keg from using it as a secondary, you can just build a liquid-to-liquid jumper hose and use co2 pressure to push it into a clean keg (presumably after fining and maybe after pouring off the pint of sediment you get anyway).

Back