Second Yeast pitch in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayteller

Reaction score
I recently started a winter ale and its been in the primary for 1 week now. Im pretty sure the fermentation got a good start and went strong for about 5 days at 68 degrees. Lately I have seen the bubbles in the airlock almost come to a stand still ( i know this isn't a sure sign of anything) however I was wondering what are the benefits to pitching yeast a second time or maybe just adding a bit of yeast nutrient or sugar to get them going again? Thoughts? What can I expect to see happen?

what was the starting gravity? what is its current gravity? i wouldn't even consider doing anything like that till i was sure the fermentation was stuck.

Ok, i checked the SG last night. I'm still new to this (this is my second brew) and not sure if i am reading these things correctly but it looks like it is 1.020. I used a Wyeast 1968 London ESB smack pack and i got air bubbles like crazy for a few days, now nothing. When i pulled the lid to check the SG i noticed there WAS a krausen ring around the upper part of the bucket. Does this mean its done?...if so, that was short! I did use a Wyeast yeast nutrient tablet in the boil 5 mins before the flame-out. Could that have just cause super quick fermentation? What should i do next?

Ok, i checked the SG last night. I'm still new to this (this is my second brew) and not sure if i am reading these things correctly but it looks like it is 1.020. I used a Wyeast 1968 London ESB smack pack and i got air bubbles like crazy for a few days, now nothing. When i pulled the lid to check the SG i noticed there WAS a krausen ring around the upper part of the bucket. Does this mean its done?...if so, that was short! I did use a Wyeast yeast nutrient tablet in the boil 5 mins before the flame-out. Could that have just cause super quick fermentation? What should i do next?

The 1.020 is your current gravity did you take a sample before pitching the yeast? If not did the recipe say what gravity you should have started with?

I did not take a reading before hand :( (i know i should have) i was WAY to excited and forgot all about it. The recipe didnt say anything about the original gravity either.

If you post the recipe we can approximate what the OG should have been and go from there. When I first started I have a few beers stop at 1.020 and I am sure you have seen the dreaded 1.020 curse thread. For all of mine I just left it at 1.020 and they were all fine a little sweet but fine. But they were higher gravity beers.

Uh oh. The dreaded 1.020 thread? I have not seen this. Not sure if i want to. lol Here is the recipe:
6 gallon batch:

7 oz. Flaked Barley (milled)
5 oz. Victory Malt (milled)
5 oz. Dextrin (Carapils) Malt (milled)
5 oz. English Crystal 60L (milled)

6.6 lbs. Northwestern Extra Light Liquid Malt Extract

Wyeast 1968 LONDON ESB Activator Smack Pack

2 oz. Cascade Hops
1 oz. Northern Brewer Ger. Hops
1 oz. Fruggle US Hops
1 oz. Cascade Hops
1 Whirlfloc Tablet
1/2 teaspoon of Wyeast Beer Nutrient Blend

Well I am at work so all I have to work with is my iphone app but according to it the OG should have been around 1.051 ending at 1.015 for a 4.7% beer. So from my app if you did reach 1.051 which you should have since its extract you would be at about 4% now. For where you are at now I myself would give it a gentile swirl to put some yeast back into suspension and if you can move it to a warmer room about 70-71 for a few more days. Don’t worry about letting it sit in primary, on average I primary for 2-3 weeks and found that it results in a much cleaner beer than my first few that I racked on the 7th day like clockwork. And you never said how that sample tasted! If it tasted good just go with it and make sure you aerate and take a reading before pitching the yeast next time! :ban:

DId the recipe give an estimated ABV%

Oh wow. Ok i found the recipie that i "based" my brew off.

http://hopville.com/recipe/30160/home-brew/golden-winter-ale

there it is. altough i did change a few things like the yeast.

Thanks for the advice. I will aerate and warm it up a bit and see what happens.

So did you go off of this recipe of the one you posted since the type and amount of extract is different? If you used this one then you are pretty close since it has a final of 1.017 so your not too far off. Like I said I think you are fine I would just give it a gentile swirl and warm it up a little for another week then bottle and enjoy!

Based on that recipe, it looks like you're about there. The suggestion of moving the carboy to a room thats around 70 for another week should insure that you've finished fermentation. Enjoy.

Back