Second rule of HBT... Distilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Distillation is da devils buidness.....

Now making an....ahem EISBOCK or the like is good old fashioned beer making!!

Figured I'd take advantage of the polar vortex and try an eisbock.

But at -20, all I got was an eisblock

Shame :(

all that leftover stuff would have WAAAAY too much alcohol to drink.....wait.....it all froze? You did something wrong.

You'll go blind dude. :p

The smiley face makes me think you are joking... but many still believe this!

There is more Methanol (the stuff that makes you blind) in a serving of homebrewed wine than a serving of brandy that same wine could be distilled into. Myths like that make people think that distilling is dangerous and therefore should remain illegal.

You'll only go blind if your pour it in your eyes!

They say the first & last runnings are methyl alcohol. Knowing what part's bad & what part's good seems to be the trick of it. but with 23 signitures out of 100,000 needed doesn't look good. you also have to sign in to whitehousegotyogreen.FU2 to sign it.

If you want to learn how to dddddddd...D, go to some chemistry site, or Wikipedia. It's one of the simplest processes in the 'verse. It's how rain is made. And, no, methanol does not form from the D process; it has to be present beforehand.

I think the show "Moonshiners" probably is going to hurt this. It's always been known in the US as a bad thing, but this show really doesn't help their reputations, imo. Everyone I have ever met who brews beer, brews it to drink at home and share with friends. Every distiller I have ever heard of, do it to sell it. (in the US that is)

Not saying that's the sole purpose, it just seems to be the stigma that goes with distilling.

There is a wealth of information on the internet on how to. However, it'd be nice if it were a legal practice that you could do and share with friends and family without looking over your shoulder.

1. Distilling alcohol at home for fuel is already legal on the hobby scale.
2. Homebrew in the form of beer or wine is already legal in all 50 states.
3. Homemade spirits are just as safe as homebrewing beer and wine.

It's all about the government and their Benjamin$.
Funny, Benjamin Franklin was also a homedistiller and brewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back