Second Brew - Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nummey

Reaction score
Hi,
Just brewed my second batch (extract) on Friday night - A Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale clone. Wort was around 60 when dry windsor yeast was pitched. Stored bucket fermenter in basement room with 68 degree ambient temp. The airlock was bubbling away on Saturday around 3PM about 14 hours after pitching. Last night was Sunday and it was really bubbling away...fermometer read 66. I had to move the bucket into the hallway for a few minutes and then I put it back in the same spot. I may have accidentally swished it around a bit. After I put it back it stopped bubbling. Just checked now (about 14 hours after I moved it) and still no airlock activity. I realize from reading many posts here that airlock activity isnt a good indicator of active fermemtation and to relax and not worry about things. What would cause the airlock to all of a sudden come to a screeching halt like it's doing? Wondering if I may have screwed something up when I moved the bucket?
thanks

You could have slightly broken a seal and the gas is escaping elsewhere. I have 3 primarys that rarely bubble due to a lacking seal. However, I've never had any issues with an infection before. You're good to go. RDWHAHB

I bet you lost the seal between the airlock and black rubber bucket grommet. Try re-adjusting the airlock and I bet it starts bubbing right away again. Or the bucket lid is not sealed.

Nothing to worry about, but I understand checking air locks.

You could have slightly broken a seal and the gas is escaping elsewhere. I have 3 primarys that rarely bubble due to a lacking seal. However, I've never had any issues with an infection before. You're good to go. RDWHAHB

My (very inexperienced) thoughts exactly. Also, my first brew, had the airlock going great gangbusters bubbling every three seconds for a day, and a half, but dropped off almost immediately to over 30 seconds, and to over a minute by that night, so it can slow activity pretty abruptly.

I did readjust the airlock last night but nothing and the lid has always been sealed up tight. Hard to believe that such little movement could break a seal. I'll try again tonight when I get home but good to know that it's probably not an issue. Tough to RDWHAHB when youre at work and all outta HB!
Thanks

I hear ya, but remember, airlock activity isn't the end all be all to fermentation. Like I said, I have 3 primaries that never bubble even when I push on the lid, it looks like I have a seal as the water moves and then stays put in the airlock and falls back down when I release it. It's just a vent for excess gas.

Along with keeping a good seal, it can depend on the volume of liquid in your airlock (depending on design). A 3-piece or S airlock with too much liquid will bubble like mad in the beginning when there is a ton of Co2 being generated. Later on it will bubble a lot less frequently, but the burps will be bigger. Less water will bubble more, but they will be smaller pops. That's why airlock activity is such an unreliable indicator of what is actually going on. Rely on your friendly hydrometer:)

I checked on my brew again tonight..still no airlock activity which I understand is fine. Ambient temp in the room stayed at 68 but the fermometer went from 66 down to around 63. Seems odd that the temp would drop if ambient temp remained consistent. Does this sound problematic or no big deal for the temp to drop a bit during fermentation?

Bump. Anything to be concerned with the ambient temp being higher than the fermometer reading. At the moment, the ambient temp has been 69 but the fermometer is now reading 62. The reading was 66 a couple of days ago. Would this decrease in temp mean fermentation may have slowed down or stopped?
Thabks

the internal temp of your fermenter is usually higher than ambient temp, but I wouldn't expect it to ever be lower. perhaps your fermometer and the gauge you are using for ambient temp aren't in agreement. Yes, a lower temp in your fermenter (than it was before) may mean fermentation has slowed, but in the end, your hydrometer will tell you when it is done. Airlock activity is really only useful when it's there :) When it's not there, it doesn't mean much :)

Sure you can have lower fermenter temps vs ambient. You need fluctuating ambient temps that warm up from a cooler temp.

Generally early on in the process you have fermentation temps that are higher than ambient due to yeast generating heat as they work. After most of the fermentation is done, they are no long contributing any heat to the beer, so you see fermentation temps trending with ambient (with time lag of course).

I would strongly suggest a hydrometer reading if you really want to make sure this beer finished. Early on in your homebrewing, its a good idea to take readings a few days apart and make sure they don't change (i.e. your beer is finished with no risk of bottle bombs). Then make sure it got enough time to clean up byproducts. Eventually this will all be second nature to you, and you can just take one reading prior to packaging.

Is it sitting on the floor? The floor of the basement is probably much cooler than the ambient air temperature.

Sure you can have lower fermenter temps vs ambient. You need fluctuating ambient temps that warm up from a cooler temp.

Generally early on in the process you have fermentation temps that are higher than ambient due to yeast generating heat as they work. After most of the fermentation is done, they are no long contributing any heat to the beer, so you see fermentation temps trending with ambient (with time lag of course).

I would strongly suggest a hydrometer reading if you really want to make sure this beer finished. Early on in your homebrewing, its a good idea to take readings a few days apart and make sure they don't change (i.e. your beer is finished with no risk of bottle bombs). Then make sure it got enough time to clean up byproducts. Eventually this will all be second nature to you, and you can just take one reading prior to packaging.

My plan is to let it sit for a total of 3 weeks and then take a gravity reading then bottle assuming it's where it should be. As I only pitched the yeast late Friday night (now Wednesday) I would think it's too soon for it to be done fermenting? When I push on the top of the bucket lid the airlock does bubble so it appears there is some excess CO2 in there....just not enough to move the airlock. Airlock was bubbling away and ferm temp was 66 then I barely moved the bucket and the airlock stops and the fermemt temp dropped 3 degrees in a span of 8 hrs...as a new brewer that seemed a bit strange to me. My guess is I should just leave it alone?

Is it sitting on the floor? The floor of the basement is probably much cooler than the ambient air temperature.

It is on the floor but I have i inch thick rubber tiles on the floor....so not in direct contact with the cement floor. Thermomenter is pretty much at the same level as the bucket

Should be done by 3 weeks. Thats usually my standard for primary only beers. Less for wheats, more for big beers.

So this Friday will be 3 weeks since brew day and i was planning to bottle. I popped the bucket open to have a look and saw what looked like pencil shavings floating on the surface. I'm assuming this is normal and nothing to be concerned with? Here are some pics

image-3739156624.jpg

image-667166135.jpg

Back