Second brew day - swamp cooler question, do I need it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whatsupbrew

Reaction score
Hey guys. Thanks for all the tips for my first brew. I've had a couple bottles and I'm quite happy with the way it turned out. Going to let them (try to anyway) condition a little longer to see what happens.

I'm currently about 30 mins into my second brew. Same recipe, with some changes...better yeast pitching technique, o2 aerator, and straining into the carboy. My question is about fermentation temps.

My basement is up to about 70F ambient. I'm using BRY 97 American ale yeast. Do I really need to worry about temps? I can't really find a prime temp for that yeast. I'm contemplating a simple swamp cooler, hopefully to hold high 60's but I'll be gone for days at a time for work. If I get it to 65ish then it goes back up to 72ish, then back down....big issue? Does anyone know the prime temp for bry 97?

Recipe is harp clone. What would you call that...Irish ale?

62-72. So yes you will want a swamp cooler. If it goes from 65 to 72, just hold it at 72.

You should be ok if you put in two bottles when you go to work and two when you get home. Just remember that during the initial stages of fermentation, when the yeast is really going to town, the actual temp of the liquid is always higher - by as much as 5-8 degrees I've seen.

Ok I'll give the swamp cooler a go.

My OG on this batch was 1.042... curious because the last same recipe was 1.054. I did notice quite a bit more boiled off this time, and I added quite a bit more top up water. Hopefully with the aeration I get better FG. Last batch was 1.016.

The best temperature for a clean Bry 97 is between 65 to 68 the first 4 days. after that let the temperature raise naturally. I have had still nice beer at 70 but 73 is not nearly as good. but it is all about the first 4 days that matters. This yeast can take a day or 2 to get going. If you hydrated the yeast and gave it a shot of oxygen it helps. :mug:

Best not to brew and start with primary fermenting if you are not going to be home and you don't have a automated system. Even with automated heat control you still run the risk of blow off, if you don't have a blow off tube or enough head room. So I want to keep a eye on the fermenter at least for the first 4 days after pitching the yeast. Fermentation normally kicks off 18 to 24 hours after pitching, it depend on a few factors. So its on day 2 to 4 that the temperature will rise and you want to monitor it.

That being said. If you don't have a choice then its also not the end of the world or your beer. Everything most likely will be fine. If you use a large enough container with more water, it should stabilize the fermenters temperature better.

When we started we did the swamp cooler thing with a cloth over the fermenters and a fan blowing over them, didn't really use ice. It sorta worked, problem was that the motor of the fan made the small room warmer. So we then just used the ice water method.

Seems to be sitting at 66. I've got someone to switch out the bottles so all should be good. ...not sure how this one will work out, I'm chalking it up to a learning experience. Used the wort chiller, 13 mins to get to 70... but I didn't stir while cooling so when it was poured into the carboy it went up to high 70's. pitched the yeast at around 76. Went into the swamp cooler right away....and I've learned that 76 quickly chilled to 60 whatever will suck in whatever's in the bubbler. So I've got 5 gallons of wort and about a shot or two of starsan in there. ...

Latest posts

Back