Second BIAB... good SMaSH recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
My first BIAB was a version of this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/my-2-time-gold-winning-american-ipa-81478/

Haven't tasted it yet, it's only been fermenting for 2.5 days, but it looks good!

I would like to try a simple SMaSH recipe next to make something pale ale-ish. The hops I have on hand are simcoe, cascade, citra, amarillo, centennial, and magnum. I've heard good things about maris otter and amarillo. What about MO and simcoe or MO and citra.

Other ideas?

It would be a 5-5.5gal batch.

Magnum is a bittering hop, you most likely won't like the taste of a magnum smash beer.

Here's a few commercial examples of smash(ish) beers using a few of these:

Cascade - Anchor Liberty
Citra - 3 Floyds Zombie Dust
Simcoe - Weyerbacher Double Simcoe
Centennial - Founders Centennial
Amarillo - Mikeller Single Hop Amarillo IPA

I can't tell where you are located, but if you can get these fresh they're all worth a try. My two personal favorites would either be an amarillo smash or a citra smash.

I brew an IPA that just uses only Cascade and I like the results. Recipe came from Emma Christiansen's book True Brews. Not a Smash but at least you know Cascade can be used for Bitter and Aroma with good results.

Magnum is a bittering hop, you most likely won't like the taste of a magnum smash beer.

Here's a few commercial examples of smash(ish) beers using a few of these:

Cascade - Anchor Liberty
Citra - 3 Floyds Zombie Dust
Simcoe - Weyerbacher Double Simcoe
Centennial - Founders Centennial
Amarillo - Mikeller Single Hop Amarillo IPA

I can't tell where you are located, but if you can get these fresh they're all worth a try. My two personal favorites would either be an amarillo smash or a citra smash.

I have all of these hops in my freezer, looking for an excuse to use them.

Zombie Dust looks good, but it's not quite single malt according to this link. Should I just replace the specialty grain with more 2-row? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/three-floyds-zombie-dust-clone-303478/

I think MO would be a great choice for any of those hops (other than magnum). Pick your favorite hop and go for it.

American IPA.

15lbs 2 row or whatever grain you want.
2 oz 9-13% AA hops for a 60 minute boil or first wort hops
Your favorite ale yeast.

I did two Simcoe Smash's with 14 lbs of Pilsner malt with 3-4 ounces of Simcoe. S-04 as the yeast. Mashed at 158.

First batch used 3 ounces of Simcoe, pretty good taste over all. I added hops at 60, 20 and 10. Second batch used 4 ounces at 15 minute intervals.

Totally tasty and completely drinkable. A perfect summer beer.

I did two Simcoe Smash's with 14 lbs of Pilsner malt with 3-4 ounces of Simcoe. S-04 as the yeast. Mashed at 158.

First batch used 3 ounces of Simcoe, pretty good taste over all. I added hops at 60, 20 and 10. Second batch used 4 ounces at 15 minute intervals.

Totally tasty and completely drinkable. A perfect summer beer.

What temp did you ferment at?

65 degrees or so. I don't have a controlled fermenter, so I have to deal with the vagaries of my downstairs bathroom temperature.

Any of those combos with either hops will work really well with MO, 2 row and hell even vienna if your feeling up for a different variety. I don't know about the magnum though haven't experimented with that one.

I will say though if your looking to get some body in the beer in the beer take some of your malt (about 1#) and toast it in the oven before use. Will add some good character to the beer and still be technically a smash.

Good Luck!

I will say though if your looking to get some body in the beer in the beer take some of your malt (about 1#) and toast it in the oven before use. Will add some good character to the beer and still be technically a smash.

Good Luck!

At that point I wouldn't say it is a smash anymore. The only difference is you are roasting the malt versus the maltster roasting it.

Back