Second batch ipa hydro readins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliesmith1979

Reaction score
So racer 5 IPA clone is three weeks in primary this Saturday. I took a gravity reading 7 days ago when I hopped and it was at 1.020 (OG was 1.050) so I thought it would continue to drop this week by bottling day on Saturday. However, as I went to take a gravity reading just now, its still siting at 1.020. Ferment temp was steady at 64-66 the entire time.

Since I dry hopped 7 days ago, and an abv of bout 4%, any suggestions on next step? I know hops will create off flavors if left in to long.

Thanks all!

Was it an extract recipe or all grain? And what yeast? Harvested or fresh? You don't want to dry hop longer than 2 weeks. You could raise the temp a bit and see if the yeast starts up again, but I would guess after three weeks your at terminal gravity. 1.050 is a pretty low og to get stuck.

I've had lots of extract beers just stop at 1.020, no matter what the OG was. It has to do with the fermentability of the extract.

If the beer tastes good, then there is nothing to worry about.

I'd be you're stuck at 1.020. Since you've dry hopped, probably just going to have to live with it. I doubt it goes any lower. Proceed as normal and see if you like the taste, if not, well, I won't say it.

Back