Second batch carbonated nicely

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zappa42

Reaction score
Hey all,

I bottled my second batch a week and a half ago. I tried one after one week in the bottles and it tasted pretty good. I think it still has some greeness to it that should go away after 3 weeks in the bottle.

The beer had really nice carbonation at 1 week. The head on it was big...so much so that I had to blow some off to drink it. Will this continue to carbonate over the next couple of weeks? I am concerned if it keeps going it will all be head when you pour it!:drunk:

The carbonation will finish when the yeast finish the sugar in the beer. This can take from a couple days to a couple months, but usually 1 to 3 weeks. If your beer was done fermenting and you used the correct amount of sugar when bottling you will be fine.

Sounds like a nice beer. :)

Craig

Sometimes when the beer is conditioning you will have a lot of CO2 that is not yet properly in suspension. I have seen gushers caused by a beer being too green rather than an infection. You probably found by now that they were fine.

Congrats on good carb levels on your second batch - mine weren't where I liked them until my 4th or so.

Hey all,

I bottled my second batch a week and a half ago. I tried one after one week in the bottles and it tasted pretty good. I think it still has some greeness to it that should go away after 3 weeks in the bottle.

The beer had really nice carbonation at 1 week. The head on it was big...so much so that I had to blow some off to drink it. Will this continue to carbonate over the next couple of weeks? I am concerned if it keeps going it will all be head when you pour it!:drunk:

Nah, it won't be all foamy, after about another week and a half the CO2 will be absorbed into the beer and it will balance out, probably with a nice head.

Take a look at Poindexter's video in my bottle conditioning post here; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

The post and the video explain what's going on.:mug:

Back