Second All-Grain Efficiency Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revco

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I brewed my second all grain batch yesterday and tried to measure my system's efficiency. Got a couple questions.

Original BK volume was 7.5 gallons, slightly higher than I wanted due to a slightly miscalculated mash volume on my part. I boiled down the 7.5 to 7 gallons and started into my 60. To the BK gravity was 1.055, OG was 1.070 and I ended up with 6 gallons to the fermenter. It shouldn't matter, but just in case, I used 13.25lb of grain and 9 gallons of water in a single infusion mash with a batch sparge. My question. Do I calculate from the original BK volume or the boiled down volume? As in, did I achieve ~88% efficiency or ~82% efficiency. I'm kind of glad I used more volume...as it stands, I'm 10 points above the recipe calculated at 70%!

Second question. My first runnings hit 1.095, my second runnings were at 1.050. Final pre-boil gravity ended up 1.055. I measured at vorlauf in both mash/sparge stages and straight from the kettle was used for the pre-boil measurement. Is this fairly typical? I was expecting more of an average between the two. I'm assuming that the gravity will be lower at the later stages of the sparge drain, bringing the overall pre-boil gravity down.

If you need other info, let me know.

Your pre-boil measurement is the starting gravity, which denotes your mash efficiency.
Your post boil measurement is the Original gravity, and denotes your brewhouse efficiency.

As long as you mixed the runnings well, that is your correct SG
Sounds like you had a good brew day, and have your system down. :)

Back