seat top cooler to mash tun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkrausen

Reaction score
So I just got a seat top Igloo cooler today and I'm wanting to go ahead and get it converted over to a mash tun. I started to just get the parts from the local home improvement store, but decided I just wanted to get a kit form bargainfittings. No one seems to carry the 5/8" ss fender washer that is needed, plus I kinda want to go all ss. I'm not quite sure which nipple to get for it. At the top of the cooler the wall is 1" thick and at the spigot it's recessed and the thickness is ~3/16". I tried searching but didn't see it or I'm blind. It has been a long day. Here are a couple of pics.

IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

3 5/8 fender washers go on the out side where its recessed.
1 5/8 stainless steal washer goes on the inside.
3/8 mip x 1- 1/2" brass nipple goes where plastic spigot is

Yeah I actually went to Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware and none of them had it. I went to the Fastenal near me and they didn't have it either but said they could order it but it would be ~$16 for 4 washers. All of this is part of the reason I just wanted to get the kit from bargainfittings. Thanks for the info though. I think I'm going to go with the 1-1/2" nipple option.

Im actually making one of these also. Just called fastenal for my washer and they were able to order me 1 ss washer for $2.08

Back