seasoning cast iron

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ900

Reaction score
Hey, uh close enough topic for this forum I hope.

I am seasoning a new griddle that goes on a camping stove. After melting the wax off, I coated with Crisco shortening, and was aiming for a heating temp of between 300 - 500 degrees. But I didn't keep a close enough eye on temps and my grill got up to 600+ degrees for up to 30 minutes. The top side of the griddle is now dark black. Will this cause problems, smoky char taste to the food? or close enough? I planned on doing a second coat of Crisco, but should I start over?
thanks!

clean it, use an oven, not a stove top, not a grill (for the first time.

Clean with wire brush, (soft wire brush) until it's down to metal, through your black char. Then clean with dish soap. Dry completely.

Preheat oven to 325

Here is where people get different. Use vegetable or shortening. first time, I like shortening, or squared lard.. (lard is my favorite) (Not that I can tell a difference) (I just like saying lard)

Using paper towel, cover the pan with a thin layer. put foil in the bottom of your oven, and place the skillet upside down in the center.

30 minutes, then pull, let cool to room, then repeat, pan up, then again pan down. (three trips to the oven)

Never touch with dishsoap again, water is okay,

If it's got a real smooth feeling to it, I probably would roll with it. If it got the "char rough" texture, I might wire brush/sand blast and start over.

I also like doing mine in the oven, and I use lard but I'm sure shortening is just as good; I live in the south we use lard what can I say.

I use the directions for cleaning and seasoning at Lodge.com. Figured the best instructions will be from long time makers of cast iron cooking utensils.

Back