Seal not correct in air lock fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dexter9

Reaction score
Hi all,
After realising my lagers specific gravity has not fallen at all since the last time I checked. I realised that the seal between the lid and the fermentation chamber was not proper. Therefore no bubbles had been present In the airlock. After fixing the seal, the air lock has now been producing bubbles. Will I have destroyed my beer?
Thanks
Andrew

Your beer will be okay. Whether the CO2 escapes the fermentor through the air lock or around the bucket rim will make no difference in the fermentation.

Give your beer time to ferment. Lagers will ferment slower than ales.

Zero chance you effected your beer. Air lock activity isn't fermention...Fermentation is fermention.. Airlocks are just there to make you feel good and give you something to look at.
Best practice is not to open fermenter to avoid bad bacteria getting in and infecting your beer. Reality is infections rarely if ever happen from opening a fermenter and keeping your equipment clean and sanitized prior to racking is FAR more important

It is a saflanger s23 yeast strand. I have it fermenting at 13 degrees C. I'm trying to ferment the beer as quickly as possible. Is this an optimal temperature?

It is a saflanger s23 yeast strand. I have it fermenting at 13 degrees C. I'm trying to ferment the beer as quickly as possible. Is this an optimal temperature?

Fermenting it warmer will make it faster. Your choice is fast beer or good beer. I prefer good beer. Fast beer can be nasty.:rockin:

Back