Screw up leads to good news

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

Reaction score
Started to make an American Lager that called for 6lb 8 oz of two row and a pound of corn 1/2 lb cara pils. Measured out the grains and tossed in the mashtun. Dang this sure feels like a thick mix?? Went to measure up grains for the 2nd batch for later on and only have a little over 7 lbs of two row from a twenty lb sack. Some how I ended up doubling the grain for the first batch.

Well now what?? I dumped both grain bills into the mashtun and heated up some more water and mixed it all together until I got my 148 target. I had to do some juggling with an 11 gal, 8 gal, and a four gallon kettle to heat enough water for the sparge. I found out that my 8 gal is big enough for a 90 min full volume boil and was able to boil both at the same time. I caught the first runs in the big kettle and measured out half of it for the 8 gallon. then divided the second runs in the same manner. All in all I was able to do ten in what it usually takes to do five.

Latest posts

Back