Screw this weather!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curlyfat

Reaction score
Between Wednesday and Thursday we got about a foot of snow. Not that crazy for here. It's also been between -10*F and 0*F for a few days. Also not that weird. There's been a little wind. Definitely not unusual.

I just drove home from work (about 2am). It's now +10*F (yay?), but the wind is sitting about 40 mph (according to the radio man). My seven mile drive home was fraught with complete white-out, ground-blizzard conditions and lots of drift-busting. If you are unfamiliar with any of these terms, up yours for living in a warm climate and do you know anyone that's hiring? :cross:

Seriously, my ussualy 15m drive home took 35+m. The worst part? My kegerator is in the garage and I think I'm drinking my stout at about 28*F. Wrong temp, wrong season.

/rant

There's no way in hell I would live in a cold climate!!! I think the two months of forty degree weather we get here is too much.

I am with ya curly. Just fixing to head to work and its a balmy 7 outside. We get cold here but this is way cold for us. So cold i cant brew. I have to brew on the back patio and when its that stinking cold its just too cold.

I hear ya, both curly and max. Brewing yesterday in about 15 degree temp with, what seemed like, a hundred mile an hour wind. Exaggerating a bit, but it was easily gusting to 40 mph. Either way, damn cold. Today, about 10 degrees with a 3 degree wind chill. Sucks to live in Wi. in winter.

F*** it. I'm going to make a starter and brew tomorrow regardless. I haven't brewed since October (wtf?), and tomorrow's my only day off this week. Besides, it's supposed to hit 20F tomorrow!

I don't know how I'm going to chill, ironically enough. My hose is frozen because I'm lazy....

I don't know how I'm going to chill, ironically enough. My hose is frozen because I'm lazy....

LOL i am in the same boat. I am thinking if its 20 degrees outside anything that could infect the beer is dead. So i think if you put the lid on the pot and just set it outside in a snow bank when its 20 degrees that wort is gonna chill down to 80 about the time your balls are hitting 40. ;)

That's why I moved to FL. I'm wearing shorts and a T-Shirt and its nice outside. Screw cold weather.

That's why I moved to FL. I'm wearing shorts and a T-Shirt and its nice outside. Screw cold weather.

Yeah lets exchange weather reports come May, June, July, August, September. Cold sucks but hot and humid sucks more.

To each his own, I don't mind the hot/humid weather at all, but I will cry like a little girl if the temperature drops below 60.

Edit: I have considered moving back up north for brewing though. Definitely much easier to warm the beer then cool it for fermenting. Thankfully my wife has common sense and told me no when I suggested it.

Friday it was well above 40. Grabbed a light coat to go to friend's house for the weekend. Next day, blowing hard and below 20F. With the wind chill, Saturday must have been below 0. And my friend locked his keys in the car at the theater. So I stood out there with no hat and a light coat while the 3 of us worked a coat hanger in the door to unlock the car. It worked, but it felt like my ears were on fire!

I don't mind winter so much, but going from not really needing a jacket one day to a bitter cold wind the next is not fun.

It's a balmy 25F today. I got everything set up to brew, trying out my new brewstand. First, one pump wasn't pumping. Messed with it a bunch and for no particular reason it started to magically work.

Then my RIMS display was acting all wonky. It would show one temp, then jump around erratically and when I finally got it to sit still, it's displaying off by about ten degrees!

Now I've not even begun to brew, don't know what the problem is my PID, and now I'm on a weekly phone meeting. I can usually brew on the meeting if I've already started, but mashing in while functioning on the call is too much. So I won't be able to work on the PID until about 4:30pm. I have to work early tomorrow and I'm thinking it's just not going to happen today.

I HAVEN"T BREWED SINCE OCTOBER AND THE WORLD HATES ME TODAY!

/rant

Off today and trying to motivate myself to brew. Its 10 degrees outside so brewing outside just sounds so damn cold. Might try brewing on this new glass top stove. I am still doing Mini-mash brews so i think its do-able.

Latest posts

Back