Scratching fermentor leads to infection: True or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gahgrim181

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a new brewer willing to get set up. Is it true that fermenters, when scratched, causes an infection due to bacteria and other stuff hiding in there? Wouldn't a liquid solution of cleaner and/or sanitiser go into those microscopic scratches and kill everything?

Help would be appreciated!

Causes? No. Offers an opportunity? Yes.

Sanitizer won't clean. It must be fully clean before sanitizing. A scratch can be difficult to thoroughly clean.
I vote “true.” There’s a reason commercial brewers pay for mirror-finish stainless tanks.

Thank you guys. I will do my best to not scratch the fermenter.

Causes? No. Offers an opportunity? Yes.

Sanitizer won't clean. It must be fully clean before sanitizing. A scratch can be difficult to thoroughly clean.
This is the best answer you're going to find.

@AlexKay is correct to a point. But I can't imagine trying to put my 5bbl batches into a plastic bucket or glass carboy that size. At the homebrew level, glass and stainless are the best long term solutions to sanitary surfaces you can get. It's not to say that you can't use a plastic bucket long term and get consistently good results. However, in order to control process better, it's best to be able to have control over your sanitation practices, whether that involves switching to a different fermentor material or replacing buckets routinely.

Last edited:
Although they're mentioned here as a vessel for fermentation, please stay well away from glass fermenters, especially bigger ones. Nothing wrong with a 1/2 or 1 gallon jug, growler and such. Even they can cause serious injuries when they break, sharp shards of glass.

But anything larger can become a real hazard. Especially given shoddy manufacturing standards in some countries, and the lack of any QC. So in general, avoid glass carboys (vessels) larger than 1 gallon.
At homebrew level we have much better alternatives now than ever before.

There's no reason a brew bucket should ever get scratched.
It's not that you're hauling rocks in that bucket one day and the next day you decide to ferment a batch of beer in it.

Soaking is your friend when it comes to remove stubborn caked on krausen, etc., Brushing is usually not, unless you know what you're doing.

Although a softish nylon brush can be used, it's generally safer/better for the plastic to only use soft washcloths to mop cleaner or sanitizer onto the surfaces. And again, soaking with a little (cheap) washing soda added.
IMO, Oxiclean is highly overrated. Although I must admit, it looks good on TV, so keep it there.

What cleaners and sanitizer will you be using?

What others above have said. A sponge or a microfiber cloth on plastic will do just fine, especially after a good soak. I actually sometimes use crocheted cotton dishcloths, they're sturdy and can get the tough stuff off. Also they're fun to make.

Also, the sooner you clean your equipment after using it, the better; that way there's less risk of gunk getting dried and hard to get off.

For what it's worth, PET plastic carboys are made out of a harder material than the HDPE plastic buckets and thus a bit more scratch resistant. However, I have had a HDPE bottling bucket for over 30 years and no scratches so far. The beer is only in there for 15 minutes or so at a time, but no scratches and no problems. Of course, now I've just jinxed myself. Pick Your Fermentor Part I: Plastic Buckets, Glass Carboys, and PET Plastic Carboys

Is it true that fermenters, when scratched, causes an infection due to bacteria and other stuff hiding in there?
  1. Could cause an infection
  2. Depends on the scratches
I mostly use plastic (#2, HDPE) brew buckets. I have one that has a little irregularly shaped "pit" in the bottom. I've used it as a fermenter without any issues. For years.

Before use, I use a couple different nylon brushes and scrub that pit out well, with homemade PBW with some lye (NaOH) added.
After rinsing, I use Starsan and scrub it in well before sanitizing the rest of the bucket. Then add the wort. Never had an issue.

I sometimes place empty, cleaned, and sanitized fermentation buckets in the yard in bright sunlight. Making sure every inch of the inside gets irradiated thoroughly during the day. I'm convinced that help a lot keeping them well sanitized.

That said, certain scratches width/depth/irregularity can be hard or impossible to clean and thus sanitize.

It's not a true/false dichotomy. That's not how this works. A better way of looking at it is asking if scratches inside a fermenter will increase the likelihood of infection. To which, I would say "yes."

There is a point in which a plastic fermenter is beyond this. If it has scratches internally, best to just replace.

Latest posts

Back