Scratched Stainless Steel Stock Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estrada

Reaction score
I have a Bayou Classic 24 qt stock pot. So far it has worked for my purposes, being somewhat of a beginner and doing partial boils. After the last brew and cleaning I noticed a scratch near the bottom (long but fairly fine).

Will this impact the brew at all? Inherently I wouldn't think it would since any bacteria would be boiled...

Of course the solution of buying a new brew kettle came to mind, but I'm hesitant to make that leap just yet.

Appreciate any help!

Nope, nothing to worry about! You'll be boiling anything that did live in there. Mine has way more than a little scratch!

If it's a significant scratch you may want to use some Barkeepers Friend on it to help re-passivate the stainless.

When the stainless surface is compromised without re-passivating the iron is left exposed and can cause surface rust.

Yes, it will ruin all of your beer! Being the gentleman that I am, I'm willing to take it off your hands!

Jokes aside, you should be fine unless it's closer to a gouge than a scratch.

Back