Scottish Heavy blasted through fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckybeagle

Making sales and brewing ales.
Reaction score
I brewed a Scottish Heavy (love the misnomer) approximately 64 hours ago. The OG was 1.043, and I pitched an appropriate starter of Wyeast Irish Ale 1084 into 63F wort (0.84M cells / mL / °P).

The temperature dropped to 60F in there (it's in my garage), so I thought it stalled out when I checked it this afternoon. I saw no krausen, no airlock activity, but the gravity is actually 1.011 (74% attenuation).

I don't normally brew such low gravity beers. Since this one apparently ripped through fermentation... do I just let it sit a few days and then crash/keg? Samples taste good. I moved it to room temp to see if I'd get a few more points out of it. Thoughts? Just seems really fast--If I were trying to do the fastest grain-to-glass (I'm not), I could probably have this one in under 5 days with crank and shake.

Let it sit a few days and keg? Or a couple weeks? Is this typical for semi-low fermentation temp schedules and Scottish Heavies?

Three days for low og is pretty normal. I had this quote often. Let it sit at room temperature for a few more days to give the yeast time to clean up what might need to be cleaned up and then bottle.

Back