Scottish ale tastes watered down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDSanders

Reaction score
Have a Scottish ale in primary. Was an extract kit from northern brewer. I followed the instructions with the kit. Did boil with 2.5 gallons for 60 minutes. Added .75 oz of fuggles at 60 min, .5 oz of fuggles at 30 min and. 25 oz of fuggles hops at 15 min. Topped off to 5 gal in fermenter. It has been in primary for two weeks. I did a gravity reading and taste test. It tastes watered down. Also I have .5 oz of hops, should I dry hop?

The beer is likely to taste much less watered down after it's properly conditioned and carbonated. Primary samples often taste like that.

Not much hop aroma expected in a Scottish, but it's your brew, do what you like.

I'd agree that beer that is not carbonated will taste watered down. What kind of gravities did you get with the beer?

You get a nice taste too, can sometimes be grassy, but it mostly provides aroma. Technically translates to some taste even if it was 100% aroma, you know?

Ok, so 1.041 is a reasonably low-gravity beer. It will definitely taste better when you're drinking it for real a month from now, but it won't be the fullest-flavor beer you've ever had.

Aiming a little lower on the carbonation and serving at a temperature that isn't "just out of the fridge" will be two ways to help the beer present itself best.

Back