Scottish Ale recipe help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew2bm

Reaction score
Below is my third go-around in search of the perfect Scottish Ale. My two previuos recipes were decent, but I am looking to really ramp this one up! I would like to get any and all suggestions to improve on this recipe. I brew in 3-gallon batches, using the BIAB method.

GRAIN BILL:
6 lb (75%) - 2 row Maris Otter
1 lb (6.25%) - Munich Malt
5 oz (4%) - Crystal (40L)
5 oz (4%) - Crystal (120L)
4 oz (3%) - Chocolate Malt (350L)
2 oz 1.5%) - Roasted Barley (500L)

Infusion Mash @ 152-F for 60 minutes
1 lb DME boiled & carmelized during mash, added to boil

HOP SCHEDULE (using pellets):
Fuggle 0.1oz (60min)
Kent Goldings 0.1oz (60min)
Kent Goldings 0.1 (30min, 20min)
Fuggle 0.1oz (10min, 5min)

YEAST:
1 packet Dry Ale Yeast, Fermentis SafeAle S-04
activated in 4oz pre-boiled water

I am looking for an abv > 9%, with a bit of residul sweetness and some roastiness, malt bitterness, and nutty notes...

So, what do you think?

I'd skip the caramelized DME in favor of some more crystal malts. I'd go with a minimum of a half pound each on the 120 and the 40. And add some 60Lor 80L. I like the munich but I think some honey malt would go well too. And I'd like to suggest 1084. It's my go to for dark beers but I've had good results from 1028 as well.

Honey malt is fantastic in Scottish ales, but a little goes a long way. 8oz is plenty IMO

HOPS:
Does doubling each variety for the 60 minute addition sound like a better qty? 0.2oz Fuggle & 0.2oz Goldings, for a total of 0.4oz. (note that this is for a 3-gallon batch)

MALT:
I have never used Honey malt. I will do some reading in the forums on this ingredient, but my first thought is add 8oz as suggested, and scale back 8oz on the MO.

I am still thinking of continuing with the DME carmelization in lieu of adding a more complex crystal malt profile. I recall reading somewhere (likely this site) that kettle carmelization holds a flavor complexity advantage over a bump in crystal malts...thoughts? how significant will the difference between the two approaches be?

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions!

I was looking at Jamil's reciped for a Wee Heavy; he uses 1.6 oz of EKG for 26 IBU's in a 6 gallon batch. You might want to go with 0.8 oz of EKG, and just ditch the fuggles, unless you're dying to use them for bittering or don't have enough of the EKG (personally, I'd just go with EKG throughout, as I find fuggles kind of funky). Anyway, I think something like 25 ibu's is probably reasonable. It looks like you were only going to get 5-10, which is probably on the low side.

Tonight was brew night. A few adjustments were made, had to use the hops I had on hand. Here's the final recipe (3-gallons):

5.5 lb 2-row Maris Otter
1 lb Munich Malt
0.5 lb Honey Malt
5 oz Crystal Malt (120L)
5 oz Crystal Malt (40L)
4 oz Chocolate Malt (350L)
4 oz Roasted Barley (500L)

90 minute infusion mash @ 146*F
1 lb Light DME, boiled, carmelized, and added to Kettle
Boiled for 60 min, with the following hop schedule:
0.35 oz Goldings (60 min)
0.15 oz Magnum (60 min)
0.1 oz Willamette (30, 20, 10, 5 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)

Cooled to 72*F in 9 minutes ( a new personal record)
1 packet Fermentis SafeAle S-04
O.G. = 1.088
Will update with comments and pics as this baby progresses!

Latest posts

Back