Scottish Ale question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loobobone

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew up a kit that has the following ingredients:

6 lbs. Gold liquid malt extract,
1 lb. Amber DME,
4 oz. Biscuit
8 oz. Caramel 40°L
4 oz. Chocolate
2 oz. Special B
1 oz. Peat malt specialaty grains
.5 oz. Perle
1 oz. Tradition
Scottish Ale Activator Wyeast 1728

I have used kits from this supplier before and generally have had good luck and made decent beer. My only complaint is the FG's have not met what they suggest in the instructions, but I'm attributing that to the fact I used the dry yeast and maybe a few other factors.

Anyway, I would like to try making a "bigger" beer with this batch and I will be using the liquid yeast for the first time.

My question is would it be worth while adding additional LME or DME to this kit to raise the OG? If so, what would be a reasonable amount to add?

Thanks for any advice you might have.

If you want a bigger beer, you are going to have to step up your grains and extract. You will need more fermentable sugars in the wort to up the gravity. I would also recommend going for a bit of a higher numbered caramel malt, maybe upwards of a 90 or 120.

Do some searching in the recipe section and maybe look at brewmonkey for some decent heavy Scottish Ale recipes.

Back