Scotch Ale not carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad26

Reaction score
I brewed a Scotch Ale a while ago, 11.5% (attenuated a bit too much) it's been in the bottle for about 2 months and doesn't seem to be carbonating. I used Safale us-05 for this brew, and I'm just curious as to whether or not us-05 can handle such a high alcohol content for carbonation. Should I just wait a couple more months or is the alcohol too much for this particular yeast to properly carbonate?

If it helps at all, I use S-05 for pretty much everything, and never had any problems, even the high gravity stuff. I had an IIPA @ 10.5% that I took 8 weeks to carb, and I had to move it to a warmer room in the house 70-75. The scotch ale will only benifit from longer conditioning. Give it some time.

+1, you're going to have to be patient with this brew and give it enough time to carbonate. It may take a while. My advice is to move it to a warm, dark area to condition/carb and move on to your next brew.

Not sure of the ABV% threshold it has. Neither Midwest or Safale give that info. My wife used it,but the ABV was about half that. It could be that the high alcohol knocked it out cold.

I would turn the bottles upside down to resuspend the yeast, then set them in a warmer spot.

Latest posts

Back