Scorpion Pepper Tincture - How Much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopherM

Reaction score
So I make a medal winning Mango Habanero Berliner Weiss, and people are always telling me to make the Habanero more prominent when I serve it at fests.

I made a double batch that's already all fermented out with the mango and habanero tincture in there. I served 1/2 of the batch at a fest last Saturday, and will serve the other 1/2 this Saturday at another fest.

I bought a premade Scorpion Pepper Tincture from a local hot sauce shop that's rated to 500,000 Scofield units.

Any idea how much I need to add to get this beer up closer to 8,000 Scofield Units? I know I could just start small and taste test, but is there some sort of math where I could measure it out hit the Scofield # exactly?

I've found that controlling your pepper flavor in-house is the best approach when making beer. The approach I use now goes like this:

Brew the base beer as usual, and ferment out to completion.
When you are ready to bottle or keg, take 8 oz of vodka and 1 habanero (per 5 gallons of beer) and "liquify" it in a blender for a few minutes (Alcohol is a great Capsaicin solvent) . Take that fire-hooch and strain it through a coffee filter directly into the bottling bucket or keg.
I've never even considered the need to use more than 1 pepper, but if you really wanted to light it up, you could by adding a second one...and I suspect it would be in that heat range of the BP Sculpin Habanero (or more). :)

hope that helps

Back