Score!!! - Steel Tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
I recently scored 40ft of 1.5" and 15ft of 2" sq. tubing for FREE from a demo job I assisted with. Now I'm looking for some advise on cutting what you use to cut the steel tubing. I have access to a standard size chop saw and want to know if this will be enough to cut the need tubing for the start of my Brutus build. Also is there a specific or perferred cutting wheel I should be looking for?

Thanks for you assistance

Cheers :mug:

There ya go on the job thinking how you can use this item for a brew build, save some money great find.

My muffler shop friend and owner strickly uses Norton wheels in kis Makita chop saw, I myself have a 10 pack of Stihl 14" wheels thet were given to me.
Both brands last much longer that any cheap brand of wheels. Now a cold saw would be the best butpriced way over the top. A gravity feed horizontal bandsaw works better than any chop saw besides less noise and mess after adding a new blade plusa full saw alignment and blade guides adjustment. Throw in a Bridgport mill for your end cuts.

Can you rent a handsaw that you know of? I know it wouldn't be cost efficient though. Considering the cost of the cutting discs this is more than likely still my best option.

decide on your number and size of cuts, take the steel to a local metal fabrication shop (after calling to check prices first) and let them cut it.
they charge so little for that kind of thing, the cuts will be accurate and you will meet some fabrication guys for the future. make sure to offer the guy a beer for helping you.
remember, everybody likes beer!
if you are just determined to do it yourself, save yourself some money and buy a small band saw. you will need it again!

Depends on how much DIY stuff you plan to do after this. If nothing, then consider drawing up a plan and having the pieces cut but by a shop. But a cheap Harbor Freight chop saw would do the job and probably for not a lot more.

If you are going to do a lot more of these little projects, then a chop saw will still work, but you could also "upgrade" to a band saw. A cold saw would be overkill for anything I can think of.

The chop saw would do a good job on hardened stuff, whereas the band saw cuts nice, but might not be practical for cutting hardened stuff.

I asked about buying a bridgeport from my work, but I have no idea how to get 340V in my garage. That would be sweet, even if it was one without the prototrax upgrade.

I hope this is a typing error "340" volt vs 240?
I run my mill off a 3 phase rotary converter, paid $85 for it.
No worries runs great.Make a jig dir fishmouthing tubing would
be great, a all tube brew stand nice and light plus different, heck
make it out of 4130.

Buying a steel band saw is out of the question, but for $8.99 each for a 14" steel cutting wheel I guess I really can't go wrong. I just spoke with a budddy today who is going to let me use his machine I just need to buy the wheelss. I figure for about $20.00I should be bale to cut all my pieces in a few hours.

I would think one 14" wheel would get you through the cuts you need. Though it is nice to have a spare I guess..

Better to be safe than sorry. Kinda like running out of propane in the middle of the boil.... it would suk :mad:

If I need to I can always return it if I don't use it.

I've built 2 jeep bumpers and my full stand and I'm not even close to going through my chop saw blade. If I had a choice between norton and dewalt blades it's all dewalt. Basically it comes down to if you like home depot then you get norton, but I got out of my way to go to lowes and get the dewalt ones. I got lucky and found a buy the dewalt chopsaw and get a 4 1/2" grinder both for 125 or something like that. You can make those cuts with about 3 4 1/2" cutting wheels

Back