Scorching Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinTurtle

Reaction score
I am starting a new build in the 20-30 gallon range, HERMs controlled from a BCS460 (though I am thinking about the Electric Brewery panel). My concern is reading these posts about scorching elements, particularly on big beers which is what I tend to like. I could do a hybrid of some kind with a Blichmann floor burner on the BK and keep the elements from ever touching my wort.

Is this really a problem? If I go all electric is there a way to reduce the chances of scorching?

What I am thinking is I don't need a solenoid control of any kind on the burner. I might go ahead and put a probe in the BK for the heck of it. I could either imbed the burner in the stand or create a separate stand for the boil kettle.

Sticking with all electric offers some simplicity. Just not sure which way to go now.

I feel ya. I'm thinking about even building my own element/BK to try and avoid this. I have been wondering about the same question you have. So I really have nothing to add here, there are many out there that can offer far more than I.

Back