Scorched LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR_Ewing

Reaction score
Drank my first extract American Pale Ale yesterday. I was generally pretty good, but it had a little bit of what I assume is an extract twang at the end of the sip. From what I've read, I assume it's from slightly scorching the extract on the bottom of my 5 gallon pot.

Maybe a stupid question, but why do people wait until the water has boiled to begin adding the extract? Why not add it very slowly and stir as the water is slowly warming or even add it before heating?

Maybe a stupid question, but why do people wait until the water has boiled to begin adding the extract? Why not add it very slowly and stir as the water is slowly warming or even add it before heating?

I usually add DME when the water is ~120F and LME when the water has reached ~170F. Each time removing from the burner. Haven't notice any scorched flavor or "extract twang".

I actually scorched a small amount of LME making my red ale but am not overly concerned. It may add an unusual flavor but it was a small amount, though I did smell it early in the boil. I poured it in at boiling so next time it will go in at a cooler temp.

Did you have scorched LME at the bottom of your kettle when you cleaned it? If not - you probably didn't scorch your beer.

From what I've heard scorched beer doesn't taste good - I'm pretty sure the "extract twang" is generally caused by poorly attenuated beer, not scorching. Whats as your final gravity? What temperature did you ferment add? What kind and how much yeast did you use?

Extract twang,or cooked extract flavor comes from mailard reactions. IE adding all the extract at the begining of the boil,LME in particular. Late extract additions cure this. I use 1.5-2lbs of extract in 3-3.5 gallon boils,although that amount in a 2.5G boil is also good. do hop additions,& add remaining extracts at flame out while it's still boiling hot. cover & steep a few minutes to pasteurize,which happens about 162F. Since it's still 180F+,it'll pasteurize in short order.

Back