scoby has large bubbles of gas trapped under it. What do I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tadow

Reaction score
Im currently brewing and my scoby has large bubbles of gas trapped under it. What do I do? do I just let it be (some these bubbles are puffing up the scoby quite a bit)? Or do I take a virgin straw or poker type instrument and move the scoby around so that the gas bubbles are released.

Just leave it alone. It'll be fine. Or poke at it, if it makes you feel better. Won't affect the outcome in the least.

Just leave it alone. It'll be fine. Or poke at it, if it makes you feel better. Won't affect the outcome in the least.

OK ty. but by not poking it the new scoby is going form with irregularities in its shape correct?

OK ty. but by not poking it the new scoby is going form with irregularities in its shape correct?

Could be. I've never given any thought to the shape of a gelatinous pellicle. Here's a picture of one that I never poked, if it helps.

IMG_20151111_203838.jpg

IMG_20151111_203846.jpg

Back