Schneider Weisse Tap 1 Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunnol

Reaction score
I can't seem to find a recipe for this beer, only the other taps. A good few don't mention the tap number but from discussion of colour they seem to refer to the darker versions as opposed to this light one.

Has anybody had experience brewing one or a very handy recipe to pass on to me?

I haven't seen a recipe for this one either, but the website does provide some clues (see below). From reading about it a little it sounds as if it's a basic, albeit possibly paler than most, weissbier with the addition of the new Saphir hop.

Typical Schneider Weisse fermentation is reported to start at 61 deg F and is allowed to rise/finish at 71-73F (Brewing with Wheat, Stan Hieronymus).

I believe there is also some discussion of a ferulic acid rest (usually 113F for 30 minutes, but reported to range between 104-113F) as Schneider considers substantial clove character to be important to their house flavor. I can confirm that when I brew weissbier the ferulic acid rest certainly increases the clove perception for me (or I have a strong imagination) and more closely matches Scheider character.

If it were me, I'd take a very basic weissbier grain bill (Pils & wheat only), perform a ferulic acid rest, bitter to 14 IBUs and use a little Saphir for some delicate late hop character. Pitch an appropriate amount of yeast and ferment per above.

I would tend towards WLP380 instead of WLP300 for a bit lower esters and more clove perception, but try both and report back! Good luck!

Capture.PNG

I never said thanks for the advice, sorry! I followed your advice, decided to go for 70% wheat 30% pilsner. 5 gallon batch, 60 minute addition was 25g hallertauer mittelfrueh with another 25g saphir at 5 mins. Couldn't get the wyeast I wanted so went with a new company here in Europe. Fermentum Mobile's FM41 wheat yeast. OG was 1046, should have been 1051. FG was 1010. Huge clove and sulfur production during fermentation at 18 degrees, brew shed stank of rotten eggs! Luckily that's gone now and it's tasting beautiful. Not as light as tap 1, clove is a little stronger but a hint more sweetness too that balances it out. Body is a little fuller too without being overly sweet or syrupy. Could have used a few more of the gravity points to make the flavor a little fuller. Overall it's turned out amazing, I actually prefer it to tap 1. Terrified to bottle it now in case I ruin it!

Back