Scary Caterpillar loves hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessup

Reaction score
3rd year now I have had these scary hops eating spikey caterpillars. The locals have never seen them. Im in western NC just west of Asheville.
1st year these devasted all growth.
2nd year I got them all & harvested some hops.
3rd year - this year - We will see who wins the battle.

I am careful not to touch all the multi colored lightning shaped spikes on its back. Did I mention this thing is scary looking as hell?!

View attachment 1496683023770.jpg

I guess this whole area was Cherokee Indian or some other native American land at some point. Could be doomed lol

Sticky Indian Hopfarm is a mile away Im gonna contact them. Perhaps they can shed some light on this lil bugger.

Thanks Demonsrun, that is def it! Now I can do my homework on them. Thanks again :)

Thanks Demonsrun, that is def it! Now I can do my homework on them. Thanks again :)

.. no problem, looks like on some of the Butterfly raising forms people are happy that they made a comeback starting in 2011 in the south and have been migrating up with each successively warmer winter.

Well, the resulting butterfly is stunning, but you wouldn't want to use it to flavor your wort! Maybe plant something else they love to eat so they stay off the hops?

Lol ! Did anyone else find it amusing that the guy who knew what this devil catapillar was is named Demonsrun :D

I got them on mine here in nj also, bt does the job but i have to monitor and spray kinda often- like every 2 weeks or so

Eww, just found one of these on one of my hops. Thing's scary! Time to get ze flammenwerfer!

Have u tried tossing D.E (diatemecias Earth) on them?.
I find they work wonders for my veggie plants. Have never had to try for the hops.

I havnt tried that. Honestly i did not put up much of a fight. Since i have DE lying around i will give it a shot next year. At least there are plenty of pretty butterflies this year :)

Back