Scarce bubbling. 2nd day fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all I am on my 2nd full day of fermentation and noticed that the airlock is not bubbling frequently. Perhaps one every 10-15 seconds. I Haven't opened the fermenter but I've pressed down as much as possible on the lid where it snaps in and I don't believe there is any leaking coming out of the sides of the lid. I haven't opened it to peek at the krausen but I am wondering if there is something I should do. It's been like this since last night (10 hours).

It will be fine. You might have an airleak, which is fine as well. I use the big Brewcraft 8 gallon buckets and never have had an bubble out of my airlock but in a couple weeks I have beer.

What can you do?

Leave it alone, control the temps and let the yeast do their thing (which it sounds like they are).

Sanitize and control your temp and odds are you will have a decent beer when it is done.

Sanitize the airlock?

I just checked it and the airlock isn't moving at all. I stared at the thing for about 3 to 4 minutes. I've read it's not a good indicator of anything so I'm just leaving it alone. Could it have to do anything with aeration? I did aerate but I don't know if enough.

Sanitize your equipment. If you feel you need to look, wait a week, you should see a krausen ring on your bucket. That is how you will know it made beer.

I don't use activity as a measure for where fermentation is, but like many use it as a gauge to ensure it's begun.

One time I noticed after 3-4 days I still had no activity. I realized my liquid level in the airlock was a little low. I added some more and as soon as I did, it started jumping.

Probably not your issue, just something to check.

Sanitize the airlock?

I just checked it and the airlock isn't moving at all. I stared at the thing for about 3 to 4 minutes. I've read it's not a good indicator of anything so I'm just leaving it alone. Could it have to do anything with aeration? I did aerate but I don't know if enough.

No need to panic. Leave it alone. The fact that you've seen airlock activity at all is a sign that fermentation is underway. Not all beers will bubble like crazy. I've had ones that barely bubbled and fermented out just fine.

Sanitize the airlock?

He means to have StarSan or vodka in the airlock.

If you pitched dry yeast and did any aeration at all, that's likely not an issue. You probably have NO issues unless you aren't controlling/monitoring temps, so resist the urge to assume that there's something wrong.

I have 2 primary buckets from Midwest that seal great. My bucket from Northern doesn't seal well at all, and it's evident in the airlock activity. Just bottled an ipa from the Northern primary and it turned out delicious, came down to 1.010 from 1.070, smells great, great color...
I wouldn't be concerned at all

airlock activity is not a good indicator of fermentation. The only way to really know if something is fermenting is to take a gravity reading. Sanitize something to pull a sample. I use a wine thief. If the gravity is decreasing then you know its actually fermenting.

airlock activity is not a good indicator of fermentation. The only way to really know if something is fermenting is to take a gravity reading. Sanitize something to pull a sample. I use a wine thief. If the gravity is decreasing then you know its actually fermenting.

I might have to sanitize a ladle and go from there. Sounds good I will do that tomorrow then. Thanks

Update: I took a gravity reading today and came out with 1.020. On the kit it calls for 1.012 to 1.016 so I'm pretty happy. I am going to wait a couple of days** and take another reading before bottling. I have a question though about a lack of krausen. When I opened it there were a few bubbles on the side but no Krausen. It is a stout and this is the 6th day of fermentation. I don't think it matters as I tasted it and it tasted pretty good although it does need some more time to get all the favors a little better. Thoughts on the krausen or any suggestions?

** I'm looking to do 12-14 days of first fermentation. I'm paranoid about bottles bursting and I don't mind doing 2 weeks to make sure the yeasts are settled down. Does this sound necessary?

Thoughts on the krausen or any suggestions?

** I'm looking to do 12-14 days of first fermentation. I'm paranoid about bottles bursting and I don't mind doing 2 weeks to make sure the yeasts are settled down. Does this sound necessary?

The krausen has probably fallen by now. Not to worry.

What type of stout is this? Those which include lactose (milk sugar) will finish higher since the lactose is not fermentable. Also, stouts have more other unfermentables vs. most other styles of beer. 1.020 may be as low as it goes.

What do you mean by "first fermentation"? If you're planning on transferring a stout to a secondary, don't bother unless you're going to hit it with cocoa nibs or age with oak chips. Better to just let it sit in the primary 3 weeks then bottle. You're going to want to give this one extra time in the bottles anyway. Stouts seem to taste much better after a couple of months or more of conditioning.

Great. It's my first batch so I rather ask than not know.

First beer jitters are always an issue. I still remember mine. Here is my 2 cents though. You saw signs of fermentation, so just let it ride. Honestly, since something started, at this point there is nothing you can do to change the course, other than monitoring and controlling your temperature. So best to just let it ride for 10 days, then check your gravity.

The idea that airlock activity is not a good indication of fermentation is a true statement, especially since you did see activity. So, weather it's bubbling fast, slow, or ends up stopping, that doesn't mean fermentation is done. Again, once you see something, give the yeast the time they need to do their thing.

The only time I wouldn't follow the airlock mantra, is if I never saw any bubbles in my airlock. The only reason I say that, is because I have never had an airlock not bubble. So, in that case, I would be worried that it didn't take off if I didn't see anything within a couple of days. At that point I would take a look, just in case it never started and I needed to pitch new yeast.

Your fears are understandable at this point, we all have to learn somehow. Just for future reference though, once it starts, just let it do it's thing, there isn't a whole lot you can do to change the course it's on, once it's started. Opening, checking, taking samples, imo, these are all ways you can ruin a beer. Compare that to just letting it do it's thing, there is no way you can ruin a beer if you keep the lid closed and let it ferment.

Don't worry though, most of us started out just like you, once you get a few under your belt, you'll begin to say, "Oh, it's doing this this time.

The krausen has probably fallen by now. Not to worry.

What type of stout is this?

What do you mean by "first fermentation"? If you're planning on transferring a stout to a secondary, don't bother unless you're going to hit it with cocoa nibs or age with oak chips. Better to just let it sit in the primary 3 weeks then bottle. You're going to want to give this one extra time in the bottles anyway. Stouts seem to taste much better after a couple of months or more of conditioning.

It's an "Irish stout." UK east Kent Golding hops and weyermann barley.

Ah ok and you have explained to me the purpose of the secondary which I wasn't too sure on. Thanks.

I've read elsewhere that a stout should take much longer and I don't mind. Although looking back maybe I should have gotten something I could enjoy sooner lol. I'll hold out the 3 weeks in the primary and then go for bottling. Thanks for the info.

First beer jitters are always an issue. I still remember mine. Here is my 2 cents though. You saw signs of fermentation, so just let it ride. Honestly, since something started, at this point there is nothing you can do to change the course, other than monitoring and controlling your temperature. So best to just let it ride for 10 days, then check your gravity.

The idea that airlock activity is not a good indication of fermentation is a true statement, especially since you did see activity. So, weather it's bubbling fast, slow, or ends up stopping, that doesn't mean fermentation is done. Again, once you see something, give the yeast the time they need to do their thing.

The only time I wouldn't follow the airlock mantra, is if I never saw any bubbles in my airlock. The only reason I say that, is because I have never had an airlock not bubble. So, in that case, I would be worried that it didn't take off if I didn't see anything within a couple of days. At that point I would take a look, just in case it never started and I needed to pitch new yeast.

Your fears are understandable at this point, we all have to learn somehow. Just for future reference though, once it starts, just let it do it's thing, there isn't a whole lot you can do to change the course it's on, once it's started. Opening, checking, taking samples, imo, these are all ways you can ruin a beer. Compare that to just letting it do it's thing, there is no way you can ruin a beer if you keep the lid closed and let it ferment.

Don't worry though, most of us started out just like you, once you get a few under your belt, you'll begin to say, "Oh, it's doing this this time.

Yeah my biggest thing is bacteria. From the way everything I read on the internet sounds, sanitary conditions are very very important. I have been paranoid and I star san'd the hell out of everything twice over that came into contact with the beer. But I was still unsure about how easily it occurs. Was good to see no contamination.

And then beer bottles bursting. Those sound annoying. :mug:

Hello all I am here for another update. I decided to let the beer sit for a full 4 weeks and today I bottled most of it. I got about 24 bottles but I had to stop and basically I won't have time the rest of the day to bottle it. It smells delicious I have to say.
On to the questions I have though. I put the sugar /water solution into the bottling bucket and siphon'd my beer into it. Since I had to split up the bottling into two days will that cause any kind of problem? My other question is... I forgot to star San the first two bottles. Although I cleaned the two bottles about an hour prior with oxi clean (very hefty rinse after) I don't know the extent of the contamination (no beer tree thing), will those just have an off flavor ?

You really should bottle in one sitting as leaving your beer in the bottling bucket which is not sealed will cause potential oxidation.

Contamination is a problem but I would suspect that you should be fine with your bottles. As long as they were truly clean, no gunk in them, new, etc. you should be fine.

You really should bottle in one sitting as leaving your beer in the bottling bucket which is not sealed will cause potential oxidation.

Contamination is a problem but I would suspect that you should be fine with your bottles. As long as they were truly clean, no gunk in them, new, etc. you should be fine.

Ah let me just clarify that I put a lid. I suppose it's just carbonating in the bottling bucket. The bottles were very clean but there was an hour of them sitting upright (no cover)

Whew.... open vat fermentation.... one day.... when I have a place with no cats strutting around :)

On the original question (disclaimer I havent' read every post so apologies if it's already been mentioned) but not just sanitisation but it could just be the yeast strain and your mash temp.

Yeasts like BRY-97 can take up to 48 hours to really get going, and if you mash high it makes for a less fermentable wort. Lower mash temps and a good workhorse yeast can krausen so much it looks like a volcano :rockin:

I remember checking my first batch over and over and freaked out that I never saw anything for what felt like forever. Then went to bed. The next morning it had foamed up the blowoff tube had clogged :p I use glass carboys not buckets for primary so getting to watch the yeast in action has become a hobby.

Ah let me just clarify that I put a lid. I suppose it's just carbonating in the bottling bucket. The bottles were very clean but there was an hour of them sitting upright (no cover)

Yep, it will be. I've noticed that even half an hour after mixing the beer and the bottling sugar it starts to bubble again. Bottles should be fine but would try to keep them upside down and maybe give them a sanitizer and water rinse before continuing.

Back