scandinavian meads ??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsagoodIPA

Reaction score
IM looking to make a great mead that my girl would like im more into IPAs and barley-wines i am looking to use blue berries but i wanna keep to the Scandinavian country's style meads can any one help me out with this it would be my first mead and all i have brewd has been ipas and pale ales im looking for some help let me know if theres any successful recipes that i can use to make i have an extra carboy soo im talking 6 gallon size what i have hurd is they take a while to create im willing to wait let me know thanks i love the forums on this site and have been very helpful cheers:mug:

Meads are pretty basic animals... Honey, water, yeast... You can add fruit, spices, etc to make other types of mead...

A blue berry melomel (the correct term) would be pretty straight forward... You will need to figure out how strong you want the mead to be, and such. That will determine how much honey you'll need to use. Not sure if there is any honey (available to you) from that part of the world. I tend to use wildflower honey, which is different all over the world, and from season to season.

I would suggest going over to the got mead web site and use the calculator tool there (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=745&Itemid=16) to figure out how strong you'll want to make it. Be sure to remember to add the blue berries to the calculator too. For those, I would use 1#/gallon of initial must made, rack off of them after 5-7 days. Let the mead ferment fully after that, and then rack onto another 1-2#/gallon of must/mead. If you can't fit all of the later additions at one time, do it in a couple of steps. Just have another carboy on hand to rack to.

Mead, depending on how strong you make it, can take 6-18 months between when you start it until it's actually good for drinking. Look on the forums on got mead for details such as aeration, nutrient additions, etc... Do keep one thing in mind... DO NOT COOK YOUR HONEY!!! I can't stress that enough. You'll lose far too much of what character/flavor the honey has if you heat it above 100-110F... You do NOT need to pasteurize the honey to be safe. I would also go with Lalvin yeast strains. I've had excellent results making mead with them. So far I've used EC-1118, D47 and most recently 71B-1122... You'll want to get some DAP for nutrient when making mead (to feed the yeast to keep them going strong)... DO get quality honey, which is why I mentioned NOT heating/cooking the honey above. If you're paying $4-$10/pound of honey, you want the maximum flavor you can get out of it.

...just call it a mjöd and you are good to go :D

I really like the sound of blueberry...sounds very tasty!

I'd be interested to know how it tastes 6 months after you start it... My blackberry melomel took about a month before it was finished fermenting and I had racked off all the berries. That was a 3 gallon batch.

I plan to use 3 gallon batches to test recipes moving forward. It's large enough to blend well, but small enough to not need to use a lot of honey. Plus, if it's good, you'll get a decent amount of bottles out of it.

I'd be interested to know how it tastes 6 months after you start it... My blackberry melomel took about a month before it was finished fermenting and I had racked off all the berries. That was a 3 gallon batch.

I plan to use 3 gallon batches to test recipes moving forward. It's large enough to blend well, but small enough to not need to use a lot of honey. Plus, if it's good, you'll get a decent amount of bottles out of it.

my main problem is the 15 plus lbs of honey that most recipes call for im thinking of even doing a gallon batch in a bum jug to see what i can make on a larger scale its alot of time and money to make these meads

my main problem is the 15 plus lbs of honey that most recipes call for im thinking of even doing a gallon batch in a bum jug to see what i can make on a larger scale its alot of time and money to make these meads

Make a 3 gallon batch... If you start at 3#/gallon of must, that means 9# of honey to start. I would get a full gallon, so that you have 3# left over in case you need it.

A 1 gallon batch is a bit small, unless you really make a 5 quart batch, using a 2 gallon bucket, and reserve ~1 quart to top off with. Otherwise, you'll lose a good amount from pulling hydrometer samples. My traditional mead batches are typically past the normal range of refractometers used for brewing beer (OG above 1.130)... Depending on the characteristics of the yeast you pick, make the must strong enough to ferment out fully (down to .990-.998). So, if you do that, and you use a yeast that maxes out at 14% ABV (like Lalvin D47) make your OG ~1.095... Having extra honey on hand means that you'll be able to add some to it to help add a bit of sweet to it, once it's fully fermented. I would not back sweeten it above 1.005 until it's at least 6 months old though. If you do, chances are it will become a lot sweeter as it continues to age.

Look at mead as a 12+ month long process. Even a ~14% ABV mead will benefit from several months aging. I find it slightly funny how people try to assign beer time scales to mead. Where a beer can go grain to glass in 6-8 weeks, mead is most often 6-12 months from start to first bottles being tasted. There are also plenty of people making mead that don't plan to open a batch until well after a year from when they started it.

A melomel can be 'ready' sooner, as can other types of mead with additional fermentables added, and lower ABV's. But, they still improve with age.

Do a test for yourself. Set aside several bottles in a cool place (even the back of a fridge would work once they're stable and ready). Once a year, take out one of those bottles and drink it. If possible, have some of the younger batch to try along side it. Keep doing this as you make more and more batches. I think you'll find how they really develop over time this way.

BTW, aging can be sped up a bit if you keep it batch form (all in one vessel)... I plan to use corny kegs for mine, so that I don't need to worry about them. At least not like I would if they were in carboy's.

Golddiggie thanks again i know brewing a mead its gonna take a while i plan on making one next month as soon as i can figure it all out lol

Back