Scaling down the CCA recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
So, for a local competition i scaled down cheese's carmel cream ale recipe. The reason i did this was i needed it to be a session beer and by definition it needed to be lower than 4.5% ABV if I am not mistaken. So i used some handy dandy chart I saw some where and promash to figure out the grain bill and how much i needed to lower the hops by to keep the recipe the same. Well, i am here to tell you that didnt work. I used 6 gallon instead of 5 and even lowered the ingredients. The malt flavor is just as good as the unmolested recipe, BUT, the hop utilization from useing more water and less grains led to a crazy bitterness. This ***** is going to have to age for some time I am thinking.

For the record, i entered it in the English Mild category as it is not a cream ale due to the use of vanilla, so i suppose technically it is a spice beer, oh well, i still ended up with a 31 out of 50 on the BJCP scoreing.

Ok, how long have i been brewing? a year and a half i suppose, and i never seem to learn. I was so disapointed with this beer 3 weeks ago. I decided to let my brother try it today and he said, "wow this is really good!" and i said, "no actually it tastes kinda bitter and ****ty, give me a drink.................wow, this has really come along!"

So, what have we learned here today kids. Always, RDWHAHB and give it time and it will become good.

So for the record

Reverend:

Good beers= 20

Bad beers= 0

I thought for a second my perfect record was tarnished.............oh well there was that tainted czech pils so i guess i am 19:1

what can you do?!?!

Back