scales for measuring hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpc88

Reaction score
I was just wondering, which scales would you use for measuring your hops in oz/lbs..I am looking at kitchen scales, but I'm wondering should I look into other scales? any suggestions or your own experience is helpful. thanks.

I prefer to measure hops in grams...you get more precision that way. I use an electronic kitchen scale that measures down to the gram and toggles between grams and ounces.

I'm a fan of the OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull-Out Display. It measures in ounces (down to 1/8 ounce) and grams.

I picked up a cheap kitchen scale that was on sale ($10) and it appears to work just fine. I don't know that spending a lot of money in this category is going to greatly improve the ease of use or the final product.

edit: ...and I typically use a coffee filter as a bowl to set on the scale and spoon the hops into. They're light and clean.

jeffjm said:
I prefer to measure hops in grams...you get more precision that way. I use an electronic kitchen scale that measures down to the gram and toggles between grams and ounces.

This. 100%.

Back