Scale is broken how do i measure my grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe1996

Reaction score
ok so i went to the backyard just to find my scale is broken, and i want to brew today, how would you measure your grains for this batch.

one time i throwed a 1 lb bag in to a flask just for taking a picture and if i have a good memory the 1 lb was about 800 mls, so can i brew with this type of calculations?

Hi Joe, sorry about your scale. The answer depends upon your flexibility. For example, some folks here must hit their target OG and brewhouse efficiency or the day is not a success. Others are less concerned - as long as they end up with good beer
at the end of the process, they're happy. If you can live with the latter approach, then sure, go ahead and estimate. If you are going to be gnashing your teeth, though, when the og is off and the beer turns out a little differently than the recipe predicted, then maybe you should wait to get a scale.

Again, sorry about your scale - I hate it when things seem to randomly break - like my wireless router last night (gnashing teeth, shaking fists at the heavens).

Hi Joe, sorry about your scale. The answer depends upon your flexibility. For example, some folks here must hit their target OG and brewhouse efficiency or the day is not a success. Others are less concerned - as long as they end up with good beer
at the end of the process, they're happy. If you can live with the latter approach, then sure, go ahead and estimate. If you are going to be gnashing your teeth, though, when the og is off and the beer turns out a little differently than the recipe predicted, then maybe you should wait to get a scale.

Again, sorry about your scale - I hate it when things seem to randomly break - like my wireless router last night (gnashing teeth, shaking fists at the heavens).

i now have 2 routes...not hitting my exacts OG, and going to the market in the corner and weight my grains in there, probably if i bring some homebrew they will let me use their scale lol, thanks

Make a scale, a 2x4 and a rock can work in a pinch, take something of a known weight place on one end of 2x4, place bag of grain on other, play with it until they seem to be pretty balanced, as close as you can get besides the hold one in one hand, and something in the other until "they feel the same"

good luck!:mug:

i now have 2 routes...not hitting my exacts OG, and going to the market in the corner and weight my grains in there, probably if i bring some homebrew they will let me use their scale lol, thanks

I would do that ^^^ (the market and scale that is)

Make a scale, a 2x4 and a rock can work in a pinch, take something of a known weight place on one end of 2x4, place bag of grain on other, play with it until they seem to be pretty balanced, as close as you can get besides the hold one in one hand, and something in the other until "they feel the same"

good luck!:mug:

Like a 5 pound bag of sugar, or flour or masa...

For malted barley, 1# is about (just slightly less) than 1 quart volume.

Malted wheat is about 3.5 cups per #.

This is my actual experience, not something pulled of the webz. YMMV.

I think this is the winning post - I don't know why I haven't done this with my bulk grain! Much faster than having to weigh it each time. Thanks!

seriously, though - why is 'buy a new scale' not being considered? That would be the first thing that pops to mind if my scale broke. They're cheap, and widely available. I probably wouldn't even consider anything else

well because :

1. i want to brew today
2. im broke because yesterday i bought a lot of grains hops etc.
3. im a cheap ass bastard

As mentioned before. Just under a quart is pretty accurate. Were you using a coke scale before? If not, it probably would be just as accurate as measuring off a quart of grain. But if you are trying to be consistent with a prior recipe, it won't matter that much if you are off a few points. And if you are trying to be consistent, the only answer is a new scale. Good luck, and get off of here and go brew it.

seriously, though - why is 'buy a new scale' not being considered? That would be the first thing that pops to mind if my scale broke. They're cheap, and widely available. I probably wouldn't even consider anything else

Maybe scales aren't that readily or cheaply available south of the border. Maybe the op doesn't have a car or is off today and his wife has his car, and the nearest store that has a scale is too far to walk to. Maybe the OP is in the midst of wanting to brew, and doesn't want to leave the house go get a scale and would rather spend 5 minutes throwing something together so he can get on with brewing, maybe he has a dentist appointment and wants to get yeast pitched by "x-oclock" and doesn't want to take the time to go track one down.....

I mean does it really matter why he can't/won't go get one now? I'm sure the op considered the OBVIOUS answer and there was a really GOOD reason why he chose to ask for our help instead.

ok ok my favorite post was from Revvy lol, all that can happen, but well today the weather is hot as hell, another day with 110F and i want to stay 5 hours in front of 3 high pressure burners and 10 gals of boiling water, well i ran out of beer.

well i bought a new scale for aroud 20 dlls it weights 22 pounds and measures increments of an ounce.

cheers,

MacGyver would make a balance and use water as a counterweight. 1L of water at room temp weights about 1kg or 2.2 lbs.

+1 to passed pawn.

A 1 qt mason jar will hold just over a pound. So don't fill it all the way up. Just below the where the band covers is about where you want.

In my experience, half a pound of 2-row is about a quarter inch shy of a pint glass. Thats what use to measure my base grains and have never had an issue.

Back