Scaldis or Bush Noel Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrisco

Reaction score
I am going to attempt the Scaldis Noel Belgian Strong Ale and would like some feedback on a few items.

1. I read in another thread that these beers should start out in the 68* fermentation range. I am using Wyeast 1388 and the temp range is between 64* and 80*. I am wondering what my temperature schedule should look like? Should I start low and gradually ramp up to a higher temp?

2. Since I am only doing a 2.5 gallon test batch - should I use the entire yeast package? I would assume yes - I have heard that this particular strain is sometimes slow to start and has a higher stall probability.

I have my recipe nailed down if this would help answer some of my questions.

Full Mash.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 66.84 %
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 5.35 %
0.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 5.35 %
0.75 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 18.3 IBU
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
2.10 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 22.46 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Strong Ale (Wyeast Labs #1388) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.110 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.025 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 11.17 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 23.0 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 9.0 SRM

In the Nov/Dec Zymurgy Gordon Strong has an article on Barleywines where he discusses this beer and has a recipe based on it.

Definitely start low and ramp up. Maybe pitch at the mid-60s, let it slowly come up to the low 70s in the first 3-4 days and then let it rise to the mid-upper 70s and stay there until fermentation and conditioning is complete.

You could just ferment the whole way in the mid-70s but the problem is during the lag phase and initial fermentation the yeast will produce a lot of hot alcohols and you will have to wait many months for the hotness to go away. I don't know if you plan on letting this age until next December, but if you hope to drink it in the next few months you will definitely want to avoid the hotness.

Thanks. So fermenting in the mid 60's will lend more malty flavors? I have only had this beer a few times and don't recall there being many spiciness to it.. The heat from the ABV seemed to be very well balanced. The Regular Scaldis seems to have more heat but is also fairly well balanced.

Most of the stuff (I think it's fusels) that create that hot alcohol flavor occurs very early in the fermentation as a result of being too warm, so keeping it cool those first few days is really important to keeping it to a minimum.

I don't think Scaldis Noel has a big fruity flavor so rethinking it, you probably want to keep fermentation temps on the lower end (60s to low 70s) and let it warm up to the mid-70s just as fermentation is ending so you get some yeast flavor but not too much. That will help the malt flavor come through.

I'm right behind you on this one... I'm looking at brewing this either this upcoming weekend or the one afterward. I'd love an update if you have any tips so far.
Did you add the sugar to the boil or wait until a few days into fermentation?
My only other delimea is to brew this or a Delirium Tremens clone...guess I can't go wrong either way :mug:

Hey guys just curious on how this turned out. I'm about to brew it myself here in the coming weeks. I'm just waiting for a false bottom for the mashtun.

Any modifications to the recipe over the last couple of years or is it good to go? What is the dry-hop schedule? I know the website said they dryhop the ale.

I'm more active on the IRC but I'll start posting more often.

Back